Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

want to travel before settling in oz for a yr! where to go

• clumsykiwi1

Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2011

hi headin to oz in sept for a year!! realli want to travel on the way!! wud love to c thailand, vietnam and then onto indonesia!! is it possible to c all these places in 2 weeks!! first time ever to travel so any tips and route suggestions greatli appreciated!!! :)
    ciara

#1 Posted: 19/3/2011 - 02:25

• Advertisement

• ecbaker

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2011

Wow, definitely NOT even close to enough time to see all those countries! If you only have 2 weeks (which I suggest if you can to take more time to do it) I would stick to 1, maybe 2 countries...I mean I spent 3 1/2 months in those countries and still missed so much amazing stuff! Plus its vacation, you don't want to spend the whole time on a bus! Things might look close on the map, but rarely are as close as they look when you are traveling by bus. I posted this to someone who was thinking about spending 2 weeks in Thailand/Cambodia- this is a great way to get your feet wet if you are a first time traveler. This is a commonly traveled route by many tourists so it is safe and easy- you will meet lots of travelers on the way! Here is a link to what I posted:
    http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/cambodia/13992_2-weeks-in-cambodia-and-thailand

If you don't want to do Cambodia (which is a shame-its an amazing country), then maybe just focus on Thailand only...northern Thailand is pretty awesome (check out Pai). Vietnam is a beast of its own, and with the hassle it is to get in (with visas etc) I would not suggest doing it unless you have proper time to really see the place! As for Indo- really an amazing country, but not as tourist-friendly in that travel within the country is more expensive and LONG due to the roads being overly congested and the fact that you have to travel to different islands. If you have your heart set on Indo, then I would focus on the Bali/Lombok area only (once again, you don't want to spend your whole trip on a bus...or boat!). If you want info on where to go in Indo specifically, I have lots of great recs! If you are traveling alone, I highly suggest Thailand. When I was there at least 1/2 the people I met were traveling alone, making it easy to meet people and find travel friends!

Hope this helps!! Enjoy your trip!! You will love it!

Emily

#2 Posted: 26/3/2011 - 02:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.