admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Story this morning of a Perama ferry that sunk off the coast of Komodo overnight. I'm not up on all the details, but you can read reports from people who were on the boat here and here and here.

It seems nobody drowned, but there are some very very wet people, lost bags (and perhaps some stolen gear). Perama (the boat operator) has apparently less than helpful, but it does sound like weather was terrible and that the captain was trying to escape into a sheltered bay, but failed. I'm not sure why they should have been expected to fly all the pax back to Bali as it sounds like it was a Flores - Lombok boat ...

In the last post referenced above you'll see that one of the posters asks after an alternative boat, and when one is suggested (at a considerably higher cost) they scoff at the price. They subsequently took the boat that sunk.

I point this out because it is important to note that maritime safety in Indonesia isn't what it could be and you generally do get what you pay for.

Always, always, always check for life jackets.

#1 Posted: 29/3/2011 - 21:13

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

As I have posted elsewhere:

Perama's route is 95% off a lee shore in the dry season = calm sailing. I always thought trips before mid April and after mid October could be iffy from the point of running into rough conditions. I'm gonna put this caveat on my Perama Trip page when I get a chance.

Sad though is Perama's response to helping their customers - although par for the course in Asia.

#2 Posted: 31/3/2011 - 18:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Perama cruise Flores - Komodo NP - Lombok ... By tezza on 18 Jun 2009 2 6929 20 Aug 2013
Halong Bay tour boat sinks - 3 dead ... By tino2009 on 26 Sep 2009 0 2352 26 Sep 2009
Ha Long Bay boat sinks, upto 12 feared dead ... By somtam2000 on 17 Feb 2011 10 5285 23 Feb 2011
Best way to see a lot in little time? Homebase Bali - boat trip to Lombak, Komodo etc? HELP!!! ... By suzih on 2 Aug 2011 1 2811 2 Aug 2011