Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Gili Islands, Perenhian Islands, Yucatan or Golf of Thailand

Posted by travelinchen on 6/5/2011 at 16:13

Hey travelers,

sorry, obviously not all of these places are even in SEA, but I didn't really know where to post it and I hope some travelers know more than one of the places.

Since my partner is having a very difficult time right now, we're looking to go to somewhere for relaxation and peace in June. Beach is a must, ideally white with perfectly clear water, so we can snorkel a bit. Not touristy and if anything rather backpacker.
We're also on a budget (once we're there) so it should be very affordable too.

Is there any of the above you think is the best one? Suggestions of other places are of course welcome too :)

Thanks very much in advance

#1 travelinchen has been a member since 23/1/2011. Posts: 67

Posted by mooball on 6/5/2011 at 21:17 TF writer

Right. I know where this place is. Seraya island off the coast of labuan bajo in Flores which is in Indonesia. It's perfect. Bungalows on a white sand beach with coral right in front. Nothing to do but relax. Fly into Bali and catch a connecting flight to Labuan bajo. Head to Gardena hotel where they will hook you up with a boat to the island. It's about $20 per night and they have a website. Check it out.

#2 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 429
 Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Google+   Instagram 

Posted by travelinchen on 6/5/2011 at 21:19

Sounds awesome! But what airline flies there? I'm so terrified of flying.. :(

#3 travelinchen has been a member since 23/1/2011. Posts: 67

Posted by busylizzy on 7/5/2011 at 03:23

I have a suspicion that Seraya Island may not be what you are looking for. Do some reseach before you decide. I believe Seraya Island is near Kanawa Island, where I stayed a year and half ago. I had a great time, but it was an extremely basic island. If you are looking for somewhere to be pampered and sit around the beach with a cocktail, I don't think this is it.

Research Seraya Island before making decisions. I have written about Kanawa Island here: http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/indonesia/13785_3-4-weeks--sulawesi-flores- In post #6 i linked to my blog which has pics. Check it out and see if it appeals.

I suspect you might find the Gili Islands more in line with what you are looking for - and you can get there from Bali easily enough by boat.

#4 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by travelinchen on 7/5/2011 at 03:52

Yes, I think we'll stick with Gili, though we don't really care about the cocktails and the tempering, but we only have 22 days and Seraya Island is a long, long way overland and oversea. I really hope I like the bit of Indonesia I will get to see and then I'll definitely be back for "the rest" :)

#5 travelinchen has been a member since 23/1/2011. Posts: 67

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.