Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Recommendations for Mt. Bromo tour

• travelinchen

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2011

Hey guys,

I'm so excited! End of July we'll fly to indonesia and it will be awesome! (I hope)
    I'm still planning things out for the trip (aka as procrastinating), so I was wondering whether anyone can recommend a tour operator that does tours to Mt Bromo (relatively flexible still from where, but I'm thinking Malang might be good)? I know there're a lot of offers on the internet, but I'd really like to go by recommendations for such a one-in-a-lifetime experience.

Hope to hear from you :)

#1 Posted: 19/5/2011 - 02:23

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Why do you need a tour to get there? Yo should be able to make your own way there without too much trouble. I did it fairly easily 18 years ago coming across from Bali so I'm sure you would be able to swing it now. I caught a public bus from Gilamanuk (Bali) to Probolingo, and from there, it was very easy to catch a bemo or minivan to the top of Bromo. Once you're up there - you can make your own way around the volcano or to the scenic platform.

Things could have dramatically changed of course - but if anything, I would imagine there are MORE options for doing it yourself rather than less.

#2 Posted: 19/5/2011 - 02:56

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

A friend of mine recently visited and said 98% of people take tours, but there is no need. You can get up there yourself. Even if it means getting a car and driver to take you up for sunrise, it'd be better than being with a bunch of other people on a tour I think.

#3 Posted: 22/5/2011 - 18:42

• travelinchen

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2011

You're probably right about this, the question is only, where do I organize a car and a driver?
    Especially at 3 am in the morning?

#4 Posted: 22/5/2011 - 19:49

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

There will be plenty of people in the towns surrounding bromo that will have drivers willing to pick you up at 3am. Just ask at your guesthouse the day before.

#5 Posted: 22/5/2011 - 19:56

• travelinchen

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2011

Aaah, I see. Are there towns you'd recommend for staying at?

#6 Posted: 22/5/2011 - 20:30

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

No, I haven't done it myself, but Bromo is incredibly popular and towns nearby will have plenty of accommodation and transport options.

#7 Posted: 22/5/2011 - 20:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Has anyone done the Yogi-Bromo-Bali tour?? ... By douluvme49 on 30 Sep 2011 0 1532 30 Sep 2011
Bali - Ijen Lake - Mount Bromo - Surabaya tour - questions ... By khr132 on 1 Jun 2014 1 322 4 Jun 2014