Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Recommendations for Mt. Bromo tour

Posted by travelinchen on 19/5/2011 at 02:23

Hey guys,

I'm so excited! End of July we'll fly to indonesia and it will be awesome! (I hope)
I'm still planning things out for the trip (aka as procrastinating), so I was wondering whether anyone can recommend a tour operator that does tours to Mt Bromo (relatively flexible still from where, but I'm thinking Malang might be good)? I know there're a lot of offers on the internet, but I'd really like to go by recommendations for such a one-in-a-lifetime experience.

Hope to hear from you :)

#1 travelinchen has been a member since 23/1/2011. Posts: 67

Posted by busylizzy on 19/5/2011 at 02:56

Why do you need a tour to get there? Yo should be able to make your own way there without too much trouble. I did it fairly easily 18 years ago coming across from Bali so I'm sure you would be able to swing it now. I caught a public bus from Gilamanuk (Bali) to Probolingo, and from there, it was very easy to catch a bemo or minivan to the top of Bromo. Once you're up there - you can make your own way around the volcano or to the scenic platform.

Things could have dramatically changed of course - but if anything, I would imagine there are MORE options for doing it yourself rather than less.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by mooball on 22/5/2011 at 18:42 TF writer

A friend of mine recently visited and said 98% of people take tours, but there is no need. You can get up there yourself. Even if it means getting a car and driver to take you up for sunrise, it'd be better than being with a bunch of other people on a tour I think.

#3 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 429
 Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Google+   Instagram 

Posted by travelinchen on 22/5/2011 at 19:49

You're probably right about this, the question is only, where do I organize a car and a driver?
Especially at 3 am in the morning?

#4 travelinchen has been a member since 23/1/2011. Posts: 67

Posted by mooball on 22/5/2011 at 19:56 TF writer

There will be plenty of people in the towns surrounding bromo that will have drivers willing to pick you up at 3am. Just ask at your guesthouse the day before.

#5 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 429

Posted by travelinchen on 22/5/2011 at 20:30

Aaah, I see. Are there towns you'd recommend for staying at?

#6 travelinchen has been a member since 23/1/2011. Posts: 67

Posted by mooball on 22/5/2011 at 20:32 TF writer

No, I haven't done it myself, but Bromo is incredibly popular and towns nearby will have plenty of accommodation and transport options.

#7 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 429

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.