Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Going east from Lombok

• renzejongman

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2011

Hi guys,

My soon-to-be wife and I will be spending our honeymoon in Indonesia. We plan to start of in Lombok, enjoy a couple of days of rest there and then start going east and have an adventure. Climbing Rinjani is definately on our list, but we were hoping you guys could give us some tips on great things to do on our trip! We would like to stay away of the tourist mobs a little bit. We have a month... also: does anyone know a good not-too-expensive operator for the Rinjani expedition?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 19/5/2011 - 03:00

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Heading to Lombok will definitely take you away from the crazy tourist crowds of southern Bali. There are few touristy areas of course, but generally it is much more laid back than Bali. I didn't climb Rinjani so can't help you there - but do head down to Kuta (southern end of Lombok) for some nice beach time. You can also do a circuit of the island and visit some interesting hillside villages, etc.

If you want to get more adventurous, head over to Flores. For me, this was far more interesting and rewarding than Lombok - and you will definitely avoid the crowds. But there is still just enough infrastructure there that you won't be to isolated. I have posted quite a few times I think about Flores - have a scout around in the Indo forum. If you go to Flores, be sure to do a trip to Rinca or Komodo to see the dragons - a real highlight.

#2 Posted: 19/5/2011 - 05:29

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

hi have a look at this link might be what your after.

cheers

http://www.lombok-rinjanitrek.com/lombokintro.htm

#3 Posted: 19/5/2011 - 06:18

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia

I agree with the Flores suggestion. It's a great place. Sumatra is also not heavily touristed but has plenty of great things to see and do. Then of course Bali is great - culture, food, activities. Could do a week in Sumatra, 2 weeks in Bali and Lombok and a week in Flores. Air asia will connect you from Sumatra to Bali, a boat will connect bali and Lombok and a plane will connect Bali and Flores either into Maumere or Labuanbajo. Sounds tops!

#4 Posted: 22/5/2011 - 18:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.