Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

How to spend 3 months in SE asia?

• lilyrose

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2011

Hello,
    Me and a mate (we're 23) are planning travelling round SE asia from September... we have a flight booked to go straight to Laos and then 3 months later out from Bali to Perth. The first month we will spend travelling round Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia. We spent a month in Thailand last summer so kind of know what to expect here. We're stuck with what to do after... The general plan was to fly from Cambodia to Malaysia, visit a few of the islands there then fly out of either KL or Singapore onto either Jakarta or Bali - have heard Jakarta isn't very nice?
    We don't really know much about Malaysia or Indonesia and are starting to think maybe 2 months is too long so may bring the Perth flight forward..
    Any advice or tips on things to do/where to go/must sees would be great. We like cultural things as well as partying with other backpackers. Also how long to stay in each place? We didn't have any plans to go to Borneo but have since read exciting things about it, would it be worth the money?
    Thanks.

#1 Posted: 27/5/2011 - 04:47

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

The first month we will spend travelling round Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia

I think you will end up taking much longer to go around these 3. Don't rush it! Plan on spending at least 2 months in the three countries to get the most out of your trip. I think the key thing is to map out a rough itinerary, but don't have anything booked so that you get tied to it.

Rushing around is OK for a month if you have no choice, but you have 3 months. You will find that you naturally want to slow it down a bit.

Consider flying out of Bkk instead of KL/Singapore to either Bali or Yogyakarta. Don't bother with Jakarta.

From Yogya, you can head up to Mt Bromo, visit Borobudor then head overland to Bali.

In Bali, you have plenty of island/beach options - on Bali, or head over to the Gili islands, Lombok and/or Lembongan. You could easily spend two months in Indo - don't cut it short if you don't need to.

#2 Posted: 27/5/2011 - 05:18

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

3 Months for Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia and Indonesia is a fair amount of time. If you really are going to only spend a month in Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam, the 2 months for Malaysia and Indonesia will easily be filled. I'd actually hang around the islands in Malaysia and make my way by ferry from Penang to Medan in Sumatra. Sumatra is a top spot and you can spend a month here easily. Make your way through Sumatra, through Java and then into Bali -- all overland.

I think you have a pretty good itinerary already. Just get into Sumatra to see the orangutans, do some trekking, climb some volcanoes etc. Go to Java to see the Dieng Plateau, Borobudur and Mt Bromo. Go to Bali and do all the things that Bali has to offer -- beaches, food, temples. Easy!

#3 Posted: 27/5/2011 - 13:07

• miangkem

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2011

Second the Sumatra recommendation.
    There are often great deals on flights from Phuket - Medan (Sumatra). We flew for 30 USD.
    From there you can go to Lake Toba, Berastagi (volcanoes) and Ketambe (orangutans). If money matters, it'll be the cheapest place you travel. We chose it over Borneo and don't regret it.

#4 Posted: 4/6/2011 - 21:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
I am in Koh Phangan now, it rains. Where to spend next 2 months? ... By vladix on 2 Oct 2009 7 2011 4 Oct 2009