Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Itinerary Java-Bali

• kitsune

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2010

Hello guys! I received so much help for you planning my SE Asia trip last year and I would very grateful if you could help me with my Indonesia trip for this summer.

Here is my itinerary...
    Sun 17 Flight 9.15 KUL-JOG 10.50 / Visit Jogyakarta
    Mon 18 Visit Prambanan and Borobodur
    Tue 19 Go to Mt. Bromo (12h). Stay in Mt. Hostel
    Wed 20 Hike Bromo sunrise. Plane 14:25 MLG – 16:25 DPS. Bus to Tulambeg
    Thu 21 Scuba Diving Liberty (Bali Diving Academy) Afternoon bus to Ubud
    Fri 22 Ubud
    Sat 23 ????
    Sun 24 Bus to Seminyak -Denpasar (Bali)
    Mon 25 Seminyak-Denpasar (Bali) - Sanur Sea Walking
    Tue 26 Seminyak-Denpasar (Bali) - Tanah Lot Temple
    Wed 27 Flight 12.40 DPS-CGK 13.20. Visit Jakarta
    Thu 28 - 00.40 CGK-DXB 05.30 / 08.00 DXB-LGW 12.30

I can move everything from the 18th till the 24th! Would you recommend me an extra day in Java? Is my flight to Bali from Java at 14.25 too soon or would I have time to hike Bromo and take the plane? What could I do in the extra day? Please make as many recommendations as I can! I'm very flexible except for Seminyak where I'm staying with friends. By the way, I've been everywhere in SE Asia, so I do not really need rice terraces, caves and temples, unless they are different from Laos/Cambodia as this is my first time in Indonesia.

THANK YOU!

#1 Posted: 7/6/2011 - 00:44

• Advertisement

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Hello. I have the following comments...

I wouldn't go to Tulamben unless you are very interested in diving. There is absolutely nothing to do there except dive.
    Which bus are you going to catch to Tulamben? You won't be able to travel there via public transport or Perama at that time of the day. I think it would probably take 3 hours to get there from the airport, depending on how bad the traffic is.
    Again, the bus to Ubud from Tulamben could be an issue, depending on what time you are planning to catch it. There is no direct public bus, only many interconnecting buses that would take many many hours to complete. Perama have a shuttle bus, but that departs from Tulamben at 11am.
    If you're able to, try hiring a car and driving to Tulamben if you really want to go there. In fact, if you have a car, it might be better to go and dive in Pemuteran.
    The option is to hire a car and driver. This way you could get from the airport to Tulamben by 8pm. Likewise, on the way back to Ubud, you could get a car and driver. These trips shouldn't cost more than about 350,000-400,000 after some hard bargaining.
    Your Java itinerary sounds reasonable as long as you have good transport at hand. I wouldn't rely on public transport if I had a flight to catch. I would either go on a tour or arrange a car and driver.
    I know Tue 26 is locked in already, but I would go somewhere else besides Tanah Lot. I think Uluwatu is much better and you could combine it with visiting the beaches on the Bukit which are quite spectacular!

Sounds like a fun journey!

#2 Posted: 12/6/2011 - 21:22

• kitsune

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2010

I have changed some things of the itinerary. Could you have a look again, please? I want to go to Kawah Ijen and after reading a lot of how to get there, I think the best is to book a tour from Yogyakarta. Do you recommend any travel agency? I've heard of prices going from 60€ to 600€!!!

Btw I really want to go to Tulambeg (yes, for the diving!). How much is renting a car? Is is crazy to drive in Bali? I'm travelling on my own so I assumed renting a car won't be cheap. And no motorbikes please, I had a bad experience in Laos hahaha

Going to Ubud is not fixed... I want to do some tourism in Bali so I guessed Ubud is a must-go place, but feel free to recommend other place. I will have time to rest the last days!

Any help would be appreciated!

Sun 17 Flight 9.15 KUL-JOG 10.50 / Visit Prambanan and book volcano tour
    Mon 18 Visit Borobodur and Yogyakarta
    Tue 19 Go to Mt. Bromo (12h). Stay in Mt. Hostel
    Wed 20 Hike Bromo sunrise. Travel to Kawah Ijen. Stay nearby
    Thu 21 Hike Kawah Ijen and then continue to Bali. Take bus to ???
    Fri 22 ???. Take bus to Ubud
    Sat 23 Ubud. Take afternoon bus to Tulambeg.
    Sun 24 Scuba Diving Liberty. Bus to Seminyak -Denpasar (Bali)
    Mon 25 Seminyak-Denpasar (Bali) - Sanur Sea Walking
    Tue 26 Seminyak-Denpasar (Bali) - Tanah Lot Temple
    Wed 27 Flight 12.40 DPS-CGK 13.20. Visit Jakarta
    Thu 28 - 00.40 CGK-DXB 05.30 / 08.00 DXB-LGW 12.30

#3 Posted: 13/6/2011 - 15:44

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

I don't know anything about booking tours for Ijen in Yogya. The timing of your itinerary looks reasonable and if you don't find a good option for a tour of Ijen when you get to Yoyga, I'm sure you would have more luck in Malang.

It is possible to get a bus from the Ijen area to Bali. The buses from that area will either head to Denpasar from where it is easy to catch a cab to Ubud or to Singaraja on the north coast. This isn't very far from Tulamben and maybe that would be a better option. Again, transport from Singaraja to Tulamben is going to be the issue depending on the time you arrive in Singaraja. The tourist town of Lovina is 12km west of Singaraja and the bus can drop you off there. It is possible to hire a car from there and drop it off a few days later in Ubud if you negotiate it with the person renting the vehicle.

I think main thing you have to think about now is how you are going to get from Ijen to Ubud and then how you are going to get to and from Tulamben. Everything else looks good!

#4 Posted: 13/6/2011 - 16:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Another Java and Bali itinerary! ... By silverteeth on 13 Jul 2011 4 4367 13 Jul 2011
13 days Budget Itinerary Java Bali. Opinion? ... By jivie798 on 31 Mar 2013 4 2254 15 May 2013
Vaccinations for Java and Bali? ... By travelinchen on 15 Jul 2011 5 5710 25 Jul 2011
java to bali at speed! ... By Animal_lover on 17 Jul 2013 5 1019 13 Aug 2013
Jungles near Java/bali area? ... By mmcphee7117 on 13 Jul 2011 0 2093 13 Jul 2011
Suggestions please! 6 weeks Lombok - Bali - Java ... By Lettie2012 on 5 May 2013 10 2250 15 May 2013
Packing list for Java, Bali and Gili -- what do you think? ... By travelinchen on 20 Jul 2011 17 7633 23 Jul 2011
26/m currently travelling in Bali (and then through Java/Malaysia/Thailand/Vietnam etc) ... By blahman on 7 Mar 2012 5 1031 5 Apr 2012
travel buddy Indonesia (Java, Bali, Flores) Jun 2013 ... By dominique29 on 7 Jun 2013 1 1095 11 Jun 2013
A little help please! Planing a month long trip from java to bali and possibly flores. ... By clayeee on 22 May 2014 11 876 5 Jun 2014