Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Bali for first solo trip ?

• Boistatisane

Joined Travelfish
    27th June, 2011

Hi all,

I am planning to spend about one month in Bali in late august til mid september.
    As it is my first solo trip, i'm afraid no to meet anyone there, and i'd like to meet people doing the same trip.

I planned to go to the main touristic places, but maybe not that much Kuta. I will spend also some times in Lombok or the Gili Islands, but i'm open to others destinations.

What do you think about travelling alone for the first time in Bali ? I guess it is an easy trip, but still wondering if there are a lot of people travelling alone...

Cheers,
    Marine

#1 Posted: 14/7/2011 - 20:00

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

There's a good salsa scene in Bali if you dance. That would be a great place to meet fellow salseros and slaseras!

#2 Posted: 15/7/2011 - 00:44

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I didn't find Kuta a very easy place to meet people anyway! Often the more busy and touristy a place is, the harder it is to meet people if you're traveling alone. Lots of groups of friends on holiday together or families in Kuta. Crowded but anonymous.

Ubud is a bit easier. Do you have any particular things you want to do or see? What's your budget? Maybe do a whitewater rafting daytrip or something if you're feeling a bit lonely and have enough cash. You'll be with a group of people all day and maybe hit it off with some/all of them and go out for a meal/drinks afterwards and bob's your uncle...you got friends!

There are longer boat trips all the way to Flores too. A poster posted this trip report a few months ago.

http://www.jacsjourney.com/?p=238

You're on a boat for several days with other people then! Similar snorkeling trips are also available if you aren't a diver. You can leave from either Bali or Lombok.

You can see komodo dragons on both Komodo and Rinca...I think Rinca might even be the better one for seeing dragons. If you do a trip in the direction Flores->Lombok/Bali there will probably be fewer tourists on board, so it'll be a bit more comfortable as there will be more space (on these trips you generally sleep on deck, no private cabins). I flew Bali to Labuan Bajo once and the flight was practically empty, 5 people on board. It was fully booked in the other direction though with people coming back from their snorkelling/dive trips! No real reason why you need to start in Bali or Lombok as you'll have to come back anyway.

Anyway, depends on your budget and what you want to do as I said.

Choosing the right guesthouse might help too. I stayed at Kajeng Bungalows in Ubud the last time I was there. It was good value (150,000/night I think) rooms were very nice, had a pool (where you can also get chatting to other guests) and I had a shared balcony with the room next door so me and my neighbor got chatting over breakfast which was served on the balcony too. We tended to do our own thing during the daytime (he was more into organized tours than I was) but in the evenings we nearly always went out to eat together, went to see traditional dances or check out a jazz club etc. Pleasant company for a few days without it being a constraint on either of us.

It's little things like having a shared verandah/balcony or a guesthouse with a communal area where guests hang out that can make all the difference sometimes...easier for a shy person than going and sitting in a bar all on your own.
    I don't know Ubud well enough to recommend a GH where there are lots of solo travelers but maybe someone else on TF knows. (Or use google).

#3 Posted: 15/7/2011 - 05:23

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Boi
    I sent a note to a friend of mine in Denpasar (a dancer of course) ref SBEs recommendation on Ubud to see if there are any guesthouses there she would recommend.

#4 Posted: 15/7/2011 - 10:55

• deacon

Joined Travelfish
    20th July, 2011

How do you create a new post?

#5 Posted: 20/7/2011 - 00:43

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@Deacon: bottom of this page (for Indonesia) http://www.travelfish.org/board/topic/indonesia

#6 Posted: 20/7/2011 - 08:00

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Boi
    Got a note back from Lily, she didn't know, but she has a friend who lives there, and she'll ask.

#7 Posted: 20/7/2011 - 12:18

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

OK my friend recommended this place. But she warned me she lives in Denpassar, and her friend lives in Ubud. They've never stayed at any places other than home in Bali.

http://rakahouse.com/ubud-bali-cheap-accommodation-and-house-for-stay/raka-house-accommodation/map-of-raka-house.html

#8 Posted: 20/7/2011 - 21:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.