Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Vaccinations for Java and Bali?

• travelinchen

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2011

Now, I know it may be a bit late for this (we#re leaving in ten days), but would you recommend any vaccinations for Java, Bali and Gili Islands? So, we're basically planning a rather beaten track -- Yogya, Malang, Mt. Bromo, Ijen crater, coffee plantations around there, over to Bali, Ubud and around, then Gili islands.

Would be great to hear from you!

#1 Posted: 15/7/2011 - 19:42

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I would suggest that they are not required for the areas that you are going to. If you wanted to be extra careful, tetanus is always good to have (no matter where you go) and maybe Hep A - but honestly, for those places I really wouldn't bother.

Just be aware that there is an outbreak of rabies in Bali but as I understand it, it's mostly in the upper villages of the island. You are unlikely to come across an rabid dogs - but I wouldn't go walking up to any strays either with the intention of petting it. Likewise, keep away from the nasty monkeys who swarm the temple areas. They are also carriers of rabies, although I haven't heard of them being rabid in Bali. But in spite of the cute faces they have nasty fangs!

If it were me,given the areas that you mention, I wouldn't bother with any vacs.

#2 Posted: 16/7/2011 - 06:13

• screamin

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2011
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 36

I'm with busylizzy I wouldn't worry about vaccinations but just make sure your tetanus is up to date . I was in Bali in March 2011 and no worries with rabies at all , but in saying that like busylizzy said give the dogs and monkeys a wide berth .
    I find it better to go the monkey forest in Ubud towards the end of the day when the monkeys are all worn out and full after all the tourists have been .

#3 Posted: 23/7/2011 - 12:45

• travelinchen

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2011

I actually have no idea whether our tetanus vaccinations are still up to date. I left my vaccination passport at my mum's who's on holiday herself right now. Moreover, monday -- the day we fly -- is the last day we could get any vaccinations. I don't know whether they give you a tetanus shot if you don't know whether you had one or not? And as for hepatitis A, should we get it anyway on monday?

#4 Posted: 23/7/2011 - 15:15

• TheodoraZ

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2011

North of 130 Balinese have died of rabies in the last couple of years, so I'd recommend you get your shots: otherwise, if you get bitten, it's a month-long course, and your insurance won't cover the cost. You may have left it too late, though, as it's a series of jabs.

Be aware, also, that there's a risk of malaria in parts of East Java, and you might want to consider antimalarials. You can buy doxy in Indonesia over the counter for pennies.

I'd get a tetanus shot and a hep A shot to be on the safe side.

Theodora
    http://travelswithanineyearold.com

#5 Posted: 25/7/2011 - 14:35

• travelinchen

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2011

thanks, we're flying in three hours from now now. Will be too late for the Hep shots (and rabies).
    As for the rabies -- my insurance back home would certainly cover the costs for it, but hopefully it just won't come to it. We'll avoid all kind of animals.

Good to know we can get doxy over in indonesia.

Do you think we are taking quite a risk in not having any vaccination nor antimalaria tablets?

#6 Posted: 25/7/2011 - 15:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
java to bali at speed! ... By Animal_lover on 17 Jul 2013 5 1071 13 Aug 2013
Itinerary Java-Bali ... By kitsune on 7 Jun 2011 4 3383 13 Jul 2011
Another Java and Bali itinerary! ... By silverteeth on 13 Jul 2011 4 4428 13 Jul 2011
Jungles near Java/bali area? ... By mmcphee7117 on 13 Jul 2011 0 2129 13 Jul 2011
Packing list for Java, Bali and Gili -- what do you think? ... By travelinchen on 20 Jul 2011 17 7814 23 Jul 2011
Suggestions please! 6 weeks Lombok - Bali - Java ... By Lettie2012 on 5 May 2013 10 2311 15 May 2013
26/m currently travelling in Bali (and then through Java/Malaysia/Thailand/Vietnam etc) ... By blahman on 7 Mar 2012 5 1048 5 Apr 2012
13 days Budget Itinerary Java Bali. Opinion? ... By jivie798 on 31 Mar 2013 4 2304 15 May 2013
travel buddy Indonesia (Java, Bali, Flores) Jun 2013 ... By dominique29 on 7 Jun 2013 1 1118 11 Jun 2013
A little help please! Planing a month long trip from java to bali and possibly flores. ... By clayeee on 22 May 2014 11 942 5 Jun 2014