Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Teaching for 9 months - Malaysia or Indonesia?

Posted by pete3377 on 26/7/2011 at 04:30

I am applying for a teaching assistant position in either Malaysia or Indonesia. Salaries and job openings aside, what do a I need to know in terms of differences between the two? I am a 26 year old American female and want international experience for my career in Peace Operations and International Development. I'm a social person and up for an adventure but also want to have the ability to communicate with people back home on a somewhat regular basis.

I'm also considering Laos and Thailand if either of those trump your opinions on Malaysia or Indonesia all together. Thanks in advance!

#1 pete3377 has been a member since 26/7/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by CrankyCarrot on 7/9/2011 at 23:13

As far as keeping in touch with people back home, I can tell you the internet in Indonesia is woeful. It's reasonable in Malaysia and best in the main hubs of Thailand. Can't vouch for Laos as I've not yet been, but man - good luck getting Skype working properly in Bali!

#2 CrankyCarrot has been a member since 24/3/2010. Location: Thailand. Posts: 662
 Website 

Posted by savorygal on 8/9/2011 at 08:54

I had no problems with internet or Skype in Bali. My dad was in the hospital back home when I was in bali & I skyped with his nurses & MD's twice a day with no problems at all. so please don't let internet be a deterrent to visiting Indonesia.
Internet in both peninsular Malaysia & Borneo were also reasonably fast.

#3 savorygal has been a member since 16/7/2010. Posts: 162
 Website 

Posted by savorygal on 8/9/2011 at 08:56

I had no problems with internet or Skype in Bali. My dad was in the hospital back home when I was in bali & I skyped with his nurses & MD's twice a day with no problems at all. so please don't let internet be a deterrent to visiting Indonesia.
Internet in both peninsular Malaysia & Borneo were also reasonably fast.

#4 savorygal has been a member since 16/7/2010. Posts: 162
 Website 

Posted by savorygal on 8/9/2011 at 09:09

Internet access aside there are some notable differences between Malaysia & Indonesia. Malaysia is more developed & the people are better educated. Most people speak english fairly well. There is more ethnic diversity in Malaysia with large populations of chinese & indians. On borneo the people are mostly indigenous tribal malay vs muslim. The food in malaysia is FAR better than Indonesia IMO. more variety & more interesting flavors. However, I found the indonesian people to be more open & more friendly than in malaysia. Not that Malaysians are unfriendly, they're not, it's just I think Indonesians are exceptionally hospitable. The landscape of Indonesia is probably more beautiful:more jungles & mountains & lakes. Malaysia, unfortunately, has given up large swaths of land to the palm plantations which means the landscape is less varied. Palm oil plantations as far as the eye can see...... so there you have my comparisons & contrasts of the 2. Just my opinion, of course, others may see it differently.

#5 savorygal has been a member since 16/7/2010. Posts: 162
 Website 

Posted by mooball on 12/9/2011 at 21:07 TF writer

Don't agree that Indo is less ethnically diverse than Malaysia. It's the other way around really. You look at the people in Papua and compare them to the people in Aceh 5000km away and they're vastly different. And then all the people in between are their own ethnic groups. There's hundreds of them.

I have no problem with skype in Indo either. Either use a 3G modem which is very cheap or find some fast local wifi.

That said, Indo is certainly more rustic than Malaysia because of it's lack of development. This is good and bad for the visitor. It's good because you can have a much different experience to that you might have at home. The bad is that there are inconveniences to deal with such as bad roads. I vote for Indo. :)

#6 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 431
 Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Google+   Instagram 

Posted by Rufus on 9/10/2011 at 12:59

Are you a qualified teacher? Do you have a degree and teaching qualifications? If the answer is no, please do not come to teach.

#7 Rufus has been a member since 22/4/2007. Location: Laos. Posts: 973

Posted by mooball on 9/10/2011 at 17:29 TF writer

Hey Rufus, why not? Seems many countries in SE Asia could use the help, especially with the quality of English Language education being so poor.

#8 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 431

Posted by CrankyCarrot on 3/1/2012 at 08:33

Posted from within Vietnam.

"Buy a cheap 3G modem or find some fast local wifi"

Buy a modem specifically for a short period of travel in Indonesia? Who would do that?

As for "fast local wifi," there was no such thing. At least not in Bali.

#9 CrankyCarrot has been a member since 24/3/2010. Location: Thailand. Posts: 662
 Website 

Posted by mooball on 3/1/2012 at 08:49 TF writer

Most people wouldn't do that, but that's because most people have no idea about internet in Indonesia. A modem costs $20 with one month of data.

There is fast wifi in Bali. Again, most people sling around these broad statements like "internet in Bali is appalling" without any real knowledge of the situation.

Internet in Indonesia is not that bad. Sure, it can be unreliable, but it can also be fast, cheap and accessed in very remote areas. It's actually astonishing how good it is considering the wealth of most people.

#10 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 431

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.