Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Chimpanzee and other primates

Posted by trevadea on 13/8/2011 at 03:45

We are going to be traveling around Nov. To May and my daughter is studying up on primates. Anyone have suggestions of places that are a must see? Thanks, treva

#1 trevadea has been a member since 14/3/2011. Posts: 4

Posted by SBE on 13/8/2011 at 04:39

You can see orang outangs at Bukit Lawang on the island of Sumatra. I saw both orang outangs and leaf monkeys there.

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,002
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by KirstyB on 13/8/2011 at 05:55

I know you've posted in Indonesia but if monkeys are what you're after maybe consider Borneo - Kalimantan in Indonesian Borneo has some possibilities but not easily accessible. However Malaysian Borneo has good opportunities for orang utangs and probiscus monkeys both in Sabah and Sarawak. I'm not a monkey expert by any stretch and I stand to be corrected but I thought chimpanzees were only in Africa??

#3 KirstyB has been a member since 27/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 151
 Where has KirstyB been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by trevadea on 13/8/2011 at 09:10

Excellent! I will look into both places, thank you! Treva

#4 trevadea has been a member since 14/3/2011. Posts: 4

Posted by MADMAC on 13/8/2011 at 11:11

Kirsty I think you are correct.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by eastwest on 13/8/2011 at 11:58

Entirely correct.
There are only 4 primate species and only 1 of them can be found in Asia and that is the orang utang.
The others, chimpanzee, gorilla and bonobo can only be found in Africa.
But who am I educating? OP has a daughter that studies the subject.

Monkeys are plenty and everywhere. Cambodia does have some beautiful Gibbons near Koh Kong.

#6 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778

Posted by trevadea on 13/8/2011 at 12:20

Obviously it is my daughter, not I who is studying! Looking around about Borneo it seems there are many different parks to visit and a lot of discussion about the logging. Any suggestions for a more rustic camp like experience? Uncle Tans looks great, anyone recommend this or another camp? thank you! Treva

#7 trevadea has been a member since 14/3/2011. Posts: 4

Posted by SBE on 13/8/2011 at 15:06

Vast areas of jungle in Borneo and Sumatra have been cut down and replanted with rubber and palm oil trees and smoke coming from illegal forest burning in Sumatra and Kalimantan affects the whole the region. It's a problem every year and the Indonesian authorities seem to do little to stop it, in spite of loud protests from neighboring countries.

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/haze-from-sumatra-fires-blankets-kl/440866

Bukit Lawang has some rustic accommodation (well it did when I visited in 2005) not camps but the guesthouses are along a river in the jungle. You'll see miles and miles of rubber trees and oil palms on the way there! The amount of land covered in jungle is much smaller than it once was, which is one of the reasons it's so easy to see orangutans nowadays...their natural habitat is confined to a fairly small area.

#8 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,002
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 14/8/2011 at 00:57

This would be a chimpanzee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO5TNU3fiJo

#9 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.