Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Chimpanzee and other primates

• trevadea

Joined Travelfish
    14th March, 2011
    Total reviews: 2

We are going to be traveling around Nov. To May and my daughter is studying up on primates. Anyone have suggestions of places that are a must see? Thanks, treva

#1 Posted: 13/8/2011 - 03:45

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

You can see orang outangs at Bukit Lawang on the island of Sumatra. I saw both orang outangs and leaf monkeys there.

#2 Posted: 13/8/2011 - 04:39

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 212

I know you've posted in Indonesia but if monkeys are what you're after maybe consider Borneo - Kalimantan in Indonesian Borneo has some possibilities but not easily accessible. However Malaysian Borneo has good opportunities for orang utangs and probiscus monkeys both in Sabah and Sarawak. I'm not a monkey expert by any stretch and I stand to be corrected but I thought chimpanzees were only in Africa??

#3 Posted: 13/8/2011 - 05:55

• trevadea

Joined Travelfish
    14th March, 2011

Excellent! I will look into both places, thank you! Treva

#4 Posted: 13/8/2011 - 09:10

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Kirsty I think you are correct.

#5 Posted: 13/8/2011 - 11:11

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Entirely correct.
    There are only 4 primate species and only 1 of them can be found in Asia and that is the orang utang.
    The others, chimpanzee, gorilla and bonobo can only be found in Africa.
    But who am I educating? OP has a daughter that studies the subject.

Monkeys are plenty and everywhere. Cambodia does have some beautiful Gibbons near Koh Kong.

#6 Posted: 13/8/2011 - 11:58

• trevadea

Joined Travelfish
    14th March, 2011

Obviously it is my daughter, not I who is studying! Looking around about Borneo it seems there are many different parks to visit and a lot of discussion about the logging. Any suggestions for a more rustic camp like experience? Uncle Tans looks great, anyone recommend this or another camp? thank you! Treva

#7 Posted: 13/8/2011 - 12:20

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Vast areas of jungle in Borneo and Sumatra have been cut down and replanted with rubber and palm oil trees and smoke coming from illegal forest burning in Sumatra and Kalimantan affects the whole the region. It's a problem every year and the Indonesian authorities seem to do little to stop it, in spite of loud protests from neighboring countries.

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/haze-from-sumatra-fires-blankets-kl/440866

Bukit Lawang has some rustic accommodation (well it did when I visited in 2005) not camps but the guesthouses are along a river in the jungle. You'll see miles and miles of rubber trees and oil palms on the way there! The amount of land covered in jungle is much smaller than it once was, which is one of the reasons it's so easy to see orangutans nowadays...their natural habitat is confined to a fairly small area.

#8 Posted: 13/8/2011 - 15:06

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

This would be a chimpanzee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO5TNU3fiJo

#9 Posted: 14/8/2011 - 00:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.