Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

From Kota Kinabalu to Balikpapan - How to do it?

• PeterJW

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2011

I will be leaving UK around 14th Jan. I have thought of going to Kuala Lumpar for a few days and then flying to Kota Kinabalu. From there I would like to head from the Malaysian side across the border to Kalimantan and make my way via the west coast and down to Balikpapan to fly to Ujung Pandang.

Pictures I have see of the island on Google map along with the wildlife which makes Borneo so famous means I really want to go (especially the saltwater and fresh lake of Labuan Cermin). However, does this trip seem possible on the public transport available or will I just end up spending a fortune on private hire drivers? I not so bothered about the bad time of year for weather, but would be gutted if I ended up spending £50 a day on transport when there will be 1000's of other stunning places across Asia where I will be spending £10 - 30 a day for everything. I intend to live cheaply and after this make my way through Indonesia to Vietnam, Cambodia Laos and Thailand. I should have about 6k to take with me and I have no time limit - when it goes it goes. I may go to India and Nepal after that. Any advice will be really appreciated. I haven't booked flights yet but I will definitely be going in January as that’s when my house contract turns out. I can't wait!

#1 Posted: 30/8/2011 - 02:03

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
From Kota Kinabalu to Balikpapan - How to do it? ... By PeterJW on 30 Aug 2011 0 1490 30 Aug 2011
Kuching to Kota Kinabalu by bus ... By fox80 on 16 Jun 2010 1 4977 11 Dec 2010
september 21 to 26 (kota kinabalu or singpore or both) ... By nasmej11 on 26 May 2010 0 1002 26 May 2010
Travelling to Kota Kinabalu and Mabul Island ... By ainnossro on 24 Sep 2012 0 838 24 Sep 2012