Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Magic Mushrooms?

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

So I thought Indonesia was supposed to be ultra-tough on drugs. How come I see signs in plain site with things like "Yes, we have @#$%ing magic mushrooms here!" And can buy them over the counter at nearly every restaurant and bar in Kuta?

Are "magic mushrooms" not hallucinogenic/illicit drugs?

#1 Posted: 3/9/2011 - 13:25

• Advertisement

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

yes they are hallucinogenic but indo seems to turn a blind eye in certain places to this. Biggest problem I have heard is you don't know how strong the concoction is. When we were on Gili Trawangan in June this year they are advertised everywhere. On the dive boat loads of gap year kids talking about how f@@ed up they were going to get. Then I hear some is so mild you wouldn't even know you had some. Then some dive DM's said this is the best place on the island, evidently one of their dive buddies asked for a super strong shake and had to get shipped to Lombok as a gibbering mess, after having it.
    Personally is not something I would take but hey it's out there, And if that floats your boat try it. I'd ask around before hand to get a handle on that sort of stuff as a warning.
    cheers

#2 Posted: 3/9/2011 - 14:26

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

They're not illegal in Indonesia, or at least they're in some kind of opaque area. They're often available in warungs well off the tourist trail -- it's not just a tourist thing.

Yes, they can really mess with your head, can be mildly hallucinogenic -- handle with care!

#3 Posted: 3/9/2011 - 18:28

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

I'll just stick to ham and pineapple on my pizza - hold the (magic) mushrooms.

#4 Posted: 4/9/2011 - 14:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.