Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

How to get from Jakarta to Bali without flying?

• gingersmith-

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2011

Hi guys!

I was wondering if anybody could help me get from Jakarta to Bali? I have 12 days and now realise this isn't very long at all, and that ferries can be quite unpredictable and not travel every day. Is there a website or any other resource someone could recommend? I can't find answers on here in relation to travelling between the two.

I have no idea how much it would cost via ferry either? We'd rather not fly, although if there is little difference in the cost, it would be something we would be willing to look at. Any suggestions?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 14/9/2011 - 12:20

• Advertisement

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Fly. Boats are out of the question. Train/bus and bus only are the other options. Train is a great way to get across Java, but it doesn't go all the way to the end of the island, so you'll have to get off at some stage and then bus it to Bali. I believe there are buses direct to Bali from Jakarta too (if not, via Bandung). Here's why I recommend flying. The bus from Jakarta to Denpasar takes the 3 nights. The train is not a whole lot better and you should bank on 2 full days. Just fly, it's not worth trying to save a few bucks for the sake of such a long journey. Unless you're going to be breaking it up by going to places along the way. But with 12 days, just fly. :-) Good luck!

#2 Posted: 19/9/2011 - 19:20

• douluvme49

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2011
    Total reviews: 2

hey,
    we are doing jakarta to bali right now. We went Jakarta - train to Bandung (in bandung you can hire a car to take you to the volcano. We went to the closest one and hiked down to the crater, it was really cool. In the afternoon we went to a cultural dance which also was really good. Not hokey like a lot of them) - 8 hr train ride to Yogyakarta (this is where we are now. We are renting a bike to see the sand dunes and beach first day, 2nd day doing a temple tour)

Then from Yogi there are many tours that take you to Mount Bromo, spend the night and then take you to Bali afterwards. Every tour agency here offers it. Its about 350,000 IDR per person. Not horrible if you consider the nights stay and transport.

We spent one night in Jakarta.. but you dont have to. Trains leave to Bandung almost every hour i think. We spent 2 nights in Bandung. ANd we are going to spend 3 nights here in Yogyakarta. Then its 1 extra night for the mount bromo thing.

You can easily do it in 12 days!

Hope this helps if you havent already started your trip :)

#3 Posted: 30/9/2011 - 19:58

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I think the OP meant they have 12 days total. Not 12 days for transit.

#4 Posted: 1/10/2011 - 01:15

• pedrosantos

Joined Travelfish
    14th January, 2013

Hey douluvme49,
    i'm doing a solo trip from jakarta to bali next week, and need some tips about it.
    Your trip sounds cool!
    Do you think i can get a train at night, like 11 or 12 pm?
    Would you do something diferent, like something you didn't do and you would like to or on contrary, that you didn't like to do?

How long did it take the trip from yogykarta to denpasar?
    greets

#5 Posted: 14/1/2013 - 10:19

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

gingersmith869...I am assuming you have 12 days total for your travels...FLY.

#6 Posted: 14/1/2013 - 20:56

• douluvme49

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2011
    Total reviews: 2

pedrossantos

man it was almost a year ago that we left canada! but i'll do my best to answer your questions.
    yes - i totally think you could catch a train at night... if i were you i'd go straight from the airport to the train station. if you figure out what the tourist street name is go there and just walk. theres enough hotels ont hat street i wouldn't worry about booking in advance. i'd go to the train station first, see if you can catch a train, and if you can't then you can always walk back to the 'tourist street' and grab a hotel for the night.

yogy to denpasar - we did a mount bromo tour which then drops you off in bali. it takes FOREVER in a cramped van but the stories you tell afterward make it worth while. the sunrise at mount bromo were breathtaking! if i remember correctly, its a days drive to a hotel where you spend the night, then the next morning u wake up super early go to mount bromo and then its like a days drive to denpasar. i think we FINALLY arrived close to midnight. Kuta is only 20 min away from denpasar by taxi.

Hope this helps!
    Happy travels!

#7 Posted: 14/1/2013 - 21:21

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"it takes FOREVER in a cramped van but the stories you tell afterward make it worth while"

Ahhh I don't think most people go on vacation so that they can latter tell stories about how getting from A to B sucked a lot. I've spent more hours in buses in Thailand than I care to recall, and I can't remmember a single bus ride that was "fun" or that I would want to do again (although I most certainly will). Buses are the crap you put up with to get somewhere. Someone once wrote here on Travelfish "I thought it was all part of the experience". It is. The bad part.

#8 Posted: 14/1/2013 - 23:35

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

@Pdr-snt:go to seat61.com for relaible train info. You did NOT tell train to where, there are NO direct trains all the way JKT-eastside ferry port, you have to change in Surabaya, possible also stations there. JKT-SUR is either via north coast or via Yogya-Solo. Trains in Indo vary an enormous lot from hi-clas to deadslow all stops only ekeonomi=3d cl.
    You can (could) buy through tickets Surabaya-to Denpasar/Bali, with a railway bus awaiting you at end=Banyuwangi and taking you on the ferry By FAR a better way as doing it step for step-you are bound to have many difficulties then.
    There are still thru overnite 'Bis malam'' fairly comfy Indo buses all thew ay JKT-Bali (and even further on), also from any other major Java big city. Take the better class-they are like bisniscl on planes and have free meals.snek/drink etc included. Sur-Bali is about 12/15 US$ on those.
    If you do not want to do stops on Java-then fly, fly, fly.

#9 Posted: 15/1/2013 - 07:55

• claireberri-
    es

Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2013

I took exactly 12 days getting from Jakarta to Bali, but as someone above mentioned, it depends on if you want to spend 12 days on the journey, or 12 days travel in total.

We did:
    Mini bus from Jakarta airport- Bandung
    Group people carrier from hostel in Bandung- Pangadaran
    Pangadaran to Yogyakarata (we had to get a mini bus to a train station from another town, not Pangadaran, but I can't remember the name of the town)
    Yogyakarta to Bali - tour via Mount Bromo

#10 Posted: 19/1/2013 - 02:04

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@claireberries -- did you feel like that was sufficient time for that route? I mean we can always do with an extra month, but for what you covered would you say 12 days was enough?

#11 Posted: 19/1/2013 - 03:40

• claireberri-
    es

Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2013

We kind of underestimated just how far it was and only had enough time to cover the whole route because we paid for the tour from Yogya. We paid between 3 of us and had our own driver, it certainly wasn't the most economical way of doing it, but the only way to do it cheaper would have been to take longer

#12 Posted: 19/1/2013 - 22:35

• expatInsura-
    nce

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2013

I would like to keep the things simple by taking a direct flight to Bali, I have no intention to undergo hardships to tell the stories later on.Though I accept that 10 years down the line, it appears to be a cherished experience but at that time, we just want to it to pass quickly.

#13 Posted: 25/1/2013 - 15:56

• sdonleavy

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2012

Hi,

I am visting SE Asia in May- Sept.... www.seat61.com really helped me out with transport times and costs, esp for Indonesia. Check that out.

On a side note, does anyone know of good trekking compaines on Sumatra? I've contacted a few but one is way too expensive and another I have not heard back from yet.

Safe travels!

#14 Posted: 6/2/2013 - 05:01

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Where in Sumatra? If around the national parks in the north, there are usually guides in the towns where the park entrances are.

#15 Posted: 6/2/2013 - 06:36

• sdonleavy

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2012

Bukit Lawang.

I am wondering if we should just pick up a guide in town and go from there or book one in advance. We are looking for at least a 2 day trek. Some companies offer the works, oragnutans, elephants, ziplining. I'll keep on searching!

#16 Posted: 6/2/2013 - 07:09

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Don't book in advance. Bukit Lawang is a popular spot and the guide association there has it all worked out. Just roll up, a guide will find you and show you a menu. Pick what you want or make a custom tour and you're on your way.

#17 Posted: 6/2/2013 - 07:30

• sdonleavy

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2012

That's great. Thanks for the advice!

#18 Posted: 6/2/2013 - 08:19

• jamesonridl-
    ey

Joined Travelfish
    7th February, 2013

This is an straightforward and well-traveled route, if you Google this you will realize many individuals raise the same question...

The classic is bus from Ubung bus station to require the night bus at approx 3 pm to Gilimanuk, cross the ferry to Java. the bus will take you all the way to Jogja, you arrive regarding 5 am the subsequent day. Spend however long you would like in Jogja, see Borobudur, Prambanan, etc. Then take train or bus to Jakarta...in Jogja there are a number of travel agents who can help you choose which bus or train to require..

Be sure to possess good travel insurance for any medical emergencies and a native phone on you in case you drift

#19 Posted: 30/3/2013 - 06:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Flying into Jakarta 23rd August will Eid Ul Fitr still be effecting transport? ... By cat122333 on 8 Jun 2012 1 1703 10 Jun 2012
Itinerary ideas please, Jakarta to Bali. ... By bujor2001 on 16 Jul 2013 1 1317 3 Aug 2013
Stops between Jakarta Yogykarta and Bali ... By cat122333 on 20 Jun 2012 2 1736 1 Jul 2012
Travel from Jakarta or Bali to sorong ... By Felicity1234 on 22 Jul 2014 3 371 29 Aug 2014