Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Malang guesthouse is requesting a copy of my passport to book room

Posted by glomer on 7/10/2011 at 03:32

Has anyone else been asked to do this? Is there something I can suggest as an alternative (paying up front, maybe through wire transfer)?

#1 glomer has been a member since 23/2/2010. Posts: 86

Posted by busylizzy on 7/10/2011 at 07:19

I assume you are trying to book this from home rarther than being in Malang now? I'd just tell them that you will show your passport when you arrive. I know it's common for accom places in Vietnam to hold your passport overnight, and some places in the other countries will ask to see it or at least want the number, but this is usually when you check in.

I always keep a laminated photocopy of my passport for this purpose and hand that over when I have to. The less time my real passport goes in and out of my pack, the less chance I have of losing it.

Also - I always avoid paying up front where possible. This way, if the place is a fleapit, is otherwise unsuitable or there is a screwup with your booking, you've still got your money in pocket.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by mooball on 7/10/2011 at 15:41 TF writer

I have been asked to provide a copy of my passport in advance in the past at more expensive hotels. I think it's normal, but I also feel uncomfortable doing it. Just tell them that you will do it later.

#3 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 429
 Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Google+   Instagram 

Posted by glomer on 8/10/2011 at 01:05

Thanks for your replies. I took the board's advice and told the guest house I was uncomfortable sending my passport information over the internet. To my surprise, they said no problem, and that they had already booked the room in my name.

#4 glomer has been a member since 23/2/2010. Posts: 86

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.