Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Malang guesthouse is requesting a copy of my passport to book room

• glomer

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

Has anyone else been asked to do this? Is there something I can suggest as an alternative (paying up front, maybe through wire transfer)?

#1 Posted: 7/10/2011 - 03:32

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I assume you are trying to book this from home rarther than being in Malang now? I'd just tell them that you will show your passport when you arrive. I know it's common for accom places in Vietnam to hold your passport overnight, and some places in the other countries will ask to see it or at least want the number, but this is usually when you check in.

I always keep a laminated photocopy of my passport for this purpose and hand that over when I have to. The less time my real passport goes in and out of my pack, the less chance I have of losing it.

Also - I always avoid paying up front where possible. This way, if the place is a fleapit, is otherwise unsuitable or there is a screwup with your booking, you've still got your money in pocket.

#2 Posted: 7/10/2011 - 07:19

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

I have been asked to provide a copy of my passport in advance in the past at more expensive hotels. I think it's normal, but I also feel uncomfortable doing it. Just tell them that you will do it later.

#3 Posted: 7/10/2011 - 15:41

• glomer

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

Thanks for your replies. I took the board's advice and told the guest house I was uncomfortable sending my passport information over the internet. To my surprise, they said no problem, and that they had already booked the room in my name.

#4 Posted: 8/10/2011 - 01:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Pre-book room in Chiang Mai for Songkran? ... By DLuek on 7 Apr 2009 2 1885 8 Apr 2009