Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Chinese new year in Ubud?

Posted by lindistar on 10/10/2011 at 19:18

Hi,
We will be in ubud during Chinese New Year and i wondered , is it better to visit another part of Bali for celebrations, or will there be some festivities in Ubud? I know in general Indonesia does not celebrate it as much as some of the other countries, but will there be some celebration? Am I right that it's still a public holiday?
Nearly forgot to say, I don't really like massive crowds, don't mind a little crowd though ;)
Thanks in advance!

#1 lindistar has been a member since 21/9/2011. Posts: 8

Posted by mooball on 17/10/2011 at 22:31 TF writer

The Balinese aren't Chinese, so it's unlikely you'll be overwhelmed with festivities of the Chinese variety anywhere in Bali. Maybe try China instead??

#2 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 431
 Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Google+   Instagram 

Posted by lindistar on 26/10/2011 at 06:31

Mooball thanks alot I am aware of that... ;)) I thought there might be some chinese population somewhere on the island where they like to celebrate? I know it's big in Singapore and London due to the big Chinese populations there- I just don't know about Bali. I was thinking there may be a more low key celebration somewhere. We may now be in Singapore at that time anyway and just spend it with family.

#3 lindistar has been a member since 21/9/2011. Posts: 8

Posted by mooball on 26/10/2011 at 20:35 TF writer

Heh. One place that I'm sure will have some celebrations is in Singaraja in the north of the island, close to the tourist area of Lovina. There is a Chinese temple there called Ling Gwan Kiong. It's pretty cool.

#4 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 431
 Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Google+   Instagram 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.