Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Visa extensions in Bali or the Gili Islands

• bizzungax

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2011

Help please!

I have a Visa On Arrival that will expire on the 30 of this month and I wanted to extended it for one more month.

The Lonely Planet "Southeast Asia on a Shoestring" says that VOA are non-extendable, although everyone I know told me that they got an extension without problems.

So can I extend my VOA for another 30 days?

If I can, then would it be possible to do it in the Gili Islands or would I forcebly need to stay in Bali for almost a week (people told me that it can take almost that long) to extend?

Any clues? I would really appreciate it.

thank you!

#1 Posted: 19/11/2011 - 05:46

• Advertisement

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

The VOA is extendible. I think the easiest way for visitors to do this is by paying an agent to handle it for you rather than going through the rigmarole of visiting the immigration office. I doubt there will be an agent on the Gilis to help you, but there certainly are agents in the major tourist centres who will do all the work for you meaning you don't need to hang around while it's being processed. You just go back to the office in a week or so and it's all done.

#2 Posted: 19/11/2011 - 09:45

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I did this last year in Bali. The 30 day visa is extendable and you can do it by yourself or through an agent. I was in bali and extended mine in Denpasar . If you use an agent you'll pay a hefty fee - I remember it was close to 700 000 - 1 000 000 IDR...depending on the deal you can swing. It will take you a week. You drop it off at immigration and fill out the paperwork (no need of a sponsor) then go back 5-6 days later to pay and then the next day you can pick it up. That's 3 trips to immigration and 3 times in a line up...This trip by taxi can be expensive (3 times) and that's 3 travel days spent doing this.
    If you have the time and are staying close to Denpasar then doing it by yourself shouldn't be a big deal and you can save some cash. But I had almost 1 hour of travel time to immigration - traffic - and 1 hour home...if I am doing this again I'll drop my passport of at an agent and save myself the time.
    Pay no attention to anyone else that speaks of shortcuts. It takes a week.

#3 Posted: 19/11/2011 - 09:58

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I did this last year in Bali. The 30 day visa is extendable and you can do it by yourself or through an agent. I was in bali and extended mine in Denpasar . If you use an agent you'll pay a hefty fee - I remember it was close to 700 000 - 1 000 000 IDR...depending on the deal you can swing. It will take you a week. You drop it off at immigration and fill out the paperwork (no need of a sponsor) then go back 5-6 days later to pay and then the next day you can pick it up. That's 3 trips to immigration and 3 times in a line up...This trip by taxi can be expensive (3 times) and that's 3 travel days spent doing this.
    If you have the time and are staying close to Denpasar then doing it by yourself shouldn't be a big deal and you can save some cash. But I had almost 1 hour of travel time to immigration - traffic - and 1 hour home...if I am doing this again I'll drop my passport of at an agent and save myself the time.
    Pay no attention to anyone else that speaks of shortcuts. It takes a week.

#4 Posted: 19/11/2011 - 09:58

• trampminer

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2011

You can get this done at the immigration office in Mantaram, it's out by the airport around all the gov't buildings.You can take a traditional boat over to Lombok and arrange a lift from there.Mine took a day,was expired 2 weeks already so it cost me that fee plus..plus.Talk to the front desk and you'll be asked what you need and will be informed the cost of the transaction.All went smooth for me,even had a new stamped incoming boarding pass with the paper work for a flight I was'nt even on.

#5 Posted: 21/11/2011 - 10:49

• bizzungax

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2011

thanks for your replies.

here's a bit more info on how it's done in lombok:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?newPost=true&messageID=19202436&#19202436

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2115043

IN LOMBOK IT ONLY TAKES 2 DAYS AND COSTS 250,000 RP.

tyler can you please tell me the cost of doing it in denpassar, is it also250,000?

can you give me an average cost of how much it cost you overall, visa + transport?

unfortunately i was too late when i saw this post which meant that i've been inkuta waiting for my visa for 2 nights, will have to stay at least one morenight, and paid 600,000.

so far i've only paid a deposit of 300,000, so i'm going to challenge theamount they want to charge me when i get my passport and try to pay less.

another stupid idea you think?
    Thank you!

#6 Posted: 22/11/2011 - 01:00

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Denpassar cost about the same (I think? 250 000 IDR) but what was expensive and time consuming was the three trips it takes to do it. Remember - I was in Ubud which was about 45 minutes each way- had to pay for scooter. The agents in Ubud (at the time) were charging between 600 000 and 1 000 000 IDR. I remember telling someone that next time I'd pay the 1 000 000 IDR just to avoid the hassel!
    I highly doubt you'll have your passport in your hands until you pay the agreed upon price. If you want to challenge that amount - good luck with that! Let me know how it works out.

#7 Posted: 22/11/2011 - 13:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Companions for Bali&Gili Islands May 2011 ... By Nicol on 14 Jan 2011 6 2266 30 Apr 2011
Gili Islands, Perenhian Islands, Yucatan or Golf of Thailand ... By travelinchen on 6 May 2011 4 2654 7 May 2011
Gili islands ... By somtam2000 on 17 Aug 2011 1 2946 17 Aug 2011
Gili Islands ... By karlrufus on 21 Feb 2012 0 764 21 Feb 2012
Best airport from Gili: Lombok or Bali? ... By stephanMc on 3 Sep 2014 3 287 4 Sep 2014
surf in Bali then 1 week at Gili ... By sammargherita on 17 Apr 2011 1 2439 8 Sep 2013
Packing list for Java, Bali and Gili -- what do you think? ... By travelinchen on 20 Jul 2011 17 7739 23 Jul 2011
Party Christmas in the Gili islands??? ... By trevstonbury on 13 Aug 2014 3 346 15 Aug 2014
Bali, Sulawesi, Gili Air and Flores - best route and travel help please ... By breatheagain on 8 Feb 2014 6 1806 17 Feb 2014
Gili islands for about a month from the beginning of march? ... By Sampan on 3 Feb 2014 5 991 10 Feb 2014