Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Bali to Flores by boat?

• KatMachine

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2011

Hi, is it possible to go from Bali to Flores by boat? If yes, how long will it take and how much?

#1 Posted: 16/1/2012 - 20:47

• Advertisement

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Yes it is possible. Check out http://www.peramatour.com

Also possible by bus and plane as well which is obviously quicker.

#2 Posted: 17/1/2012 - 23:33

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

mooball is right about Perama Tours - they're the cheapest boats there, but not necessarily the safest. (a travel blogger's boat sank last year - http://www.adventurouskate.com/adventurous-kate-gets-shipwrecked-in-indonesia/)

But obviously there are no buses! Bali and Flores are two very separate islands...

When I visited Flores, I flew from Bali to Labuan Bajo. Then I chartered a boat for 2 nights / 3 days of cruising to Komodo and Rinca Islands. For 2 people it wasn't that much more expensive than joining a tour.

#3 Posted: 18/1/2012 - 21:53

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Sorry, should have mentioned that the bus goes on the ferry between the islands. :)

#4 Posted: 18/1/2012 - 22:38

• KatMachine

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2011

Hi, how much is the bus and how long will it take? thanks :)

#5 Posted: 19/1/2012 - 00:43

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I believe there are bus trips you can take from Lombok to Flores (via Sumbawa). It's a very long overnight journey. I think it was Tezza who did a trip report on it a couple of years ago. Search the forum...

#6 Posted: 19/1/2012 - 01:09

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

I was quoted 440,000 for the trip from Denpasar to Labuan Bajo and no one knew for sure how long it would take to get there but somewhere around 24hours. The problem is when travelling that far by bus across all those islands is that drivers change, buses change, destinations change without any one single person knowing what's going on. I would think you'd be fairly lucky if the bus you departed Bali on was the bus you arrived in Flores on, but the people at the bus station say it's possible.

So you'll more than likely get on a bus that allegedly goes all the way to Flores according to the driver, but may not. The only way to handle it is to just wing it. Get on the bus and see what happens. It'll be an experience. :)

#7 Posted: 19/1/2012 - 02:34

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 212

About 6 months ago I took the Kencana boat from Labuanbajo on Flores via Rinca and Komodo to Lombok (from where you can easily get the ferry to Bali - actually the "cruise" finishes on the east side but included is a road transfer to Mataram on the west, not too far from the ferry port). www.kencanaadventure.com

I was a bit hesitant initially as it was hard to find much positive information online and also being aware of Perama's accident a few months prior. Perama and Kencana seemed to be much of a muchness in terms of quality and I wouldn't say either would be deemed "safer" than the other; the accident did happen at a time of year when waters are notoriously choppy but it could happen with any company at any time - you should make it your responsibility to check for yourself that the boat carries sufficient life jackets for all passengers and crew and looks as sea-worthy as you can ascertain BEFORE you set sail. The main reason I chose Kencana was that their boats stop at both Rinca and Komodo whereas Perama stops at only one depending on whether it's the east to west or west to east sailing.

For the 3 night trip we paid 1.5 million rupiah (about £150/$175) per person which included all meals, tea/coffee, 1 large bottle of water per day and National Park entrance and snorkelling fees. The only extra we had to pay was the Rp50,000 camera fee (payable once and valid for both Rinca and Komdo). Snorkels and masks were provided. Meals were good - far better than I expected and there was plenty of food. In addition to the dragons, the scenery on the cruise is absolutely stunning and the snorkelling was fantastic. Sleeping arrangments are simple - mattresses on the upper deck.

We were really lucky as there were only 4 of us booked on our departure so we had plenty of room (I'm sure this contributed greatly to the overall experience) whereas on a busy boat I suspect you would be fighting for space to stretch out - as well as space to sleep! I would definitely recommend going from Flores to Lombok as the boats in the opposite direction all seemed to be a lot busier; the cruises get a big push from travel agents on the Gilli Islands. The cruise is far from luxurious but I think it's good value for what you get and if you don't have massively high expectations of the quality and focus on the amazing surroundings you will have a positive experience. To make it as safe as possible I also woudn't do it in the rainy season.

#8 Posted: 19/1/2012 - 04:28

• Katkat

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2012

Hey
    I also had the same question time ago and decide for take a boat to Flores. I traveled with Blue Water Cruises.
    They offer different packeges from 4 until 7 days going from Lombok to Flores...depends of if you want to see other islands or just direct to Flores.
    I took one for 5 days and could visit Moyo, Santona and Komodo (Flores) in one trip...with enough time to get a look in the island and snorkeling. And then I staid in Flores for a while and flew back to Bali by plane.

Nice experience ;) Can only recommend it ;)

#9 Posted: 3/4/2012 - 23:12

• erohisms

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2013

We did the overland option (with a few ferries obviously) and it wasn't so bad, although in the end I don't think it saves enough money to justify the time spent: http://erohisms.com/overland-travel-from-bali-to-flores/

Here's our Flores trip report as well: http://erohisms.com/the-ups-and-downs-of-one-week-in-flores-aka-does-the-emperor-have-clothes/

#10 Posted: 25/1/2014 - 20:50

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bali, Sulawesi, Gili Air and Flores - best route and travel help please ... By breatheagain on 8 Feb 2014 6 2022 17 Feb 2014
travel buddy Indonesia (Java, Bali, Flores) Jun 2013 ... By dominique29 on 7 Jun 2013 1 1147 11 Jun 2013
A little help please! Planing a month long trip from java to bali and possibly flores. ... By clayeee on 22 May 2014 11 986 5 Jun 2014