Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Gunung Leuser National Park in Sumatra

• Mirka

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2012

Hello travelers,

My boyfriend and I will be visiting Sumatra in February 2012 and we want to do some jungle trekking here. I have read about Gunung Leuser National Park. We settled for Kedah lodges but find it problematic to find directions on the web. Buses go from Medan to Kutacane , Banda Aceh .....etc but no tips how to get to actual lodges. We wrote couple of email through the Gurung Leuser Trek website but no reply so far. Does anyone have any information about transportation to Kedah or Ketambe lodges .

Thank you.

#1 Posted: 18/1/2012 - 15:01

• Advertisement

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

I haven't been there, but can offer this advice. If there is a village nearby, there is likely to be public transport of one form or another to it. If you can easily get to Kutacane, then it will be easy enough to get to the turn off to Kedah. From the turn off, it all depends on if there are villages along that road. If not and there are no buses plying the route, someone on a motorbike will definitely be able to take you. I'd just head up there and give it a go. You rarely get stuck in Indonesia as there is always someone wanting to make money from transporting people about.

#2 Posted: 20/1/2012 - 10:50

• pPamela

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location Australia

Hi Mirka,

I am wondering how you went.
    Yes, you can get to Kutacane from Medan - 8-9 hrs over a very very rough road.
    Then it is one hour by public transport to Ketambe where most travellers stay and do their trekking.
    Places to stay at in Ketambe include Pak Mus - where I have stayed, Pondok Wisata Ketambe, Wisma Sadar Wisata, Wisma Cinta Alam - where the best naturalistic guide Johan in Ketambe stays and runs and the Friendship Guesthouse.
    Kedah is at least another 4 hrs travel north of Ketambe. You need to get a public bus for a 3 hr trip to Blangkejereng.
    From Blangkejereng you need to get other transport to get to Kedah.
    Very very remote place, but apparently fantastic for seeing lots of animals in the wild.
    Mr Jally runs the operation up there - used to be helped by Sigi who built the website but he is now working in another country.
    If I was a traveller wanting to go to Kedah I would contact Johan at Wisma Cinta Alam and pay him to take you up there.
    Pamela.

#3 Posted: 11/6/2012 - 20:41

• Mirka

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2012

Thanks Pamela!
    I did exactly same route as you mentioned and stayed in Johan's place first and then at Mr Jally. Both places were amazing and I had there the most increadible experience of my trip! Thanks again for directions.

Mirka

#4 Posted: 13/6/2012 - 02:46

• pPamela

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location Australia

Mirka,
    Thanks for responding and so pleased to read you had such a great time
    Would you have any photos of your trip to south Aceh on the Internet that you could put up a link to.
    Pamela

#5 Posted: 18/6/2012 - 00:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Gunung Mulu National Park and Miri accommodation, Sarawak, Borneo ... By KirstyB on 11 Aug 2011 1 4980 13 Aug 2011
from surathani to kaoh sok national park and from the park to krabi ... By ilovetravelling on 20 Dec 2010 1 2205 23 Dec 2010
KK to KK national park by bus ... By sharpie on 18 Oct 2010 2 1985 18 Oct 2010
Yok Don National Park ... By halu on 13 Oct 2006 4 3910 28 Oct 2006
Khao Sok National Park ... By helixusion on 24 Jul 2011 15 5290 2 Apr 2012
Khao Sok National Park ... By rocketgirl on 4 Oct 2007 26 9955 29 Jan 2014
Anyone been to Khao Sok national park? ... By bethbackpacks on 5 Jan 2009 1 3969 11 Jan 2009
National Park Fee Increase! ... By Drew84 on 1 Apr 2013 4 1262 2 Apr 2013
Khao Sok national park.... yes/no? ... By boleslav on 30 Aug 2009 4 4757 3 Sep 2009
National park in Phutburi ... By steebee on 28 May 2006 1 1715 29 May 2006