Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Indonesia: 5 weeks ideal intinerary

• atramiz

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

Hi everyone! I will be traveling on end of March to Indonesia for almost 5 weeks (solo traveler, female 30 years old). I am looking for the most ideal itinerary. My flight arrives and departs from Jakarta Airport. I am mid budget backpacker.
    Thanks so much for your help!
    Eli

#1 Posted: 22/1/2012 - 19:17

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Indonesia is very diverse - and I have no idea what interests you. Beaches? Hiking? Rural communities? Temples? Dragons? Do you want to go to the touristy areas or avoid them?

You need to give us some info before we can help...

#2 Posted: 22/1/2012 - 21:01

• atramiz

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

Yes, I know,, that is the reason I am confused.. I like most of everything.. I like hiking, and relax sometime in the beach, love rural comunities and touch some of the key touristy areas.. but not just focused on them.

Probably I did not help much, but any info can guide me...

Thanks a lot!
    Eli

#3 Posted: 23/1/2012 - 06:01

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia

Flying into Jakarta there is probably not a lot of point heading west to Sumatra as you'll just have to come back to Jakarta again. You could do it I guess but you'd probably have to fly from Medan back to Jakarta. Anyway, assuming Sumatra is off the agenda, go Jakarta - Bandung, see the stuff here, Bandung - Garut for some more volcanoes, Garut - Pangandaran for some beach, Pangandaran - Jogja for Borobudur, Jogja - Surabaya to take a look at the city, Surabaya - Cemoro Lawang for Bromo (and Semeru if you dare), Cemoro Lawang - Banyuwangi for Kawah Ijen.
    Banyuwangi is as far east as you can go in Java and that whole thing would take about 2 weeks or so. From Banyuwangi catch the ferry to Bali! Gilimanuk - Pemuteran for unbelievable snorkelling/diving, Pemuteran - Lovina for dolphin viewing, Lovina - Ubud for recharge of temples, good food, massages and yoga. Ubud is a place that is nice to spend maybe 4 or 5 days in so by this stage you might be up to the 4 week mark and heading further east might be futile. For the last week, I guess it all depends on what you're into... Maybe to the Gilis for partying, beaching, relaxing... or Nusa Lembongan for more of the same, but on a much more chilled out scale. One other option after Ubud is to go on a roadtrip either on a bike or a car. Both are incredibly cheap - bike around 30,000 rupiah per day and car around 100,000 rupiah per day. A roadtrip is an awesome experience in Bali.

5 weeks is a long time to go on holiday, but Indonesia is just incredibly large and travelling times are long. So I'd recommend trying to stick to 2 or 3 major islands. Java takes a long time because there is plenty to see. Bali takes a long time because it is such a unique and charming place.

A couple of things absolutely not to miss. Bromo and Kawah Ijen.

#4 Posted: 23/1/2012 - 21:34

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Like Busylizzy said, Indonesia is very diverse and like Mooball says it's very big too. Five weeks is only enough time to see a very small part of it. Have a look at suggestions for 4 week itineraries under "possibly related threads" to the left of this thread for some more ideas.

#5 Posted: 24/1/2012 - 16:56

• atramiz

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2010

awesome guys!!!! this is really helpful!!! Thanks so much...

Eli

#6 Posted: 25/1/2012 - 12:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
4 weeks in Indonesia: your ideal itinerary! ... By champp on 18 Feb 2011 7 15638 4 May 2011
a month in Indonesia - ideal itinerary? ... By travelinchen on 19 Mar 2011 41 26585 12 Jul 2011
6 weeks in Cambodia and Laos - Please check my intinerary ... By mattocmd on 29 Oct 2008 7 2563 31 Oct 2008