Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Bali over Easter

• mattd82

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

Hi all,
    My partner and I will be meeting in Bali for about 10 days over Easter and I was looking for some suggestions as to where to go. We've bounced through Bali a few times on route to other parts of Indonesia, but haven't really seen much of the island outside of the Kuta/Denpasar area which we'd like to steer well clear of this time!
    Matt will be coming from, and return back to Timor Leste so we'd like to keep it chilled, I'm thinking 2 sleeping destinations only. Maybe about 6 days beachside, somewhere with decent surf for beginners, (but suggestions of somewhere close by with good snorkelling/diving too might be nice) ideally a less touristy beach if possible. And about 4 days in the mountains. Accommodation ideas would also be lovely if someone has a favorite they'd like to suggest, preferably under about $40ish.
    There are definate plans on returning back to Indonesia and Bali again so we really didn't want to travel round too much this time.
    Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Cheers,
    Rowena

#1 Posted: 26/1/2012 - 03:30

• Advertisement

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

OK, so Ubud is the obvious choice for the inland part of the journey. Plenty of great facilities, nice vibe and relaxing. The $40 price range in Ubud is very awkward as it falls between upmarket backpacker accommodation and the start of the polished proper hotels. Your best bet might be to stay in the best rooms at Sania's House for about $30.

Beach... If you want surf, the Bukit is great. But many of the waves are for advanced surfers. Maybe someone with more surf knowledge would be able to suggest a particular beach on the Bukit that is easy to surf.

#2 Posted: 29/1/2012 - 20:45

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Two spots off the top of my head:

For the beach section, consider either Balangan or Padang Padang (both are on the Bukit Peninsula to the south of Kuta/Jimbaran). There are advanced waves here, but, especially on Padang Padang there are also some easier waves (depending on conditions etc) Accommodation is listed here. Another option would be Canggu where there are some good flashpacker joints and you're still not all that far from some great restaurants.

For inland, if you want to dodge the crowds, Ubud would not be my suggestion, rather consider Sideman which is roughly an hour and half northeast of Ubud. Mrs Travelfish was there a couple of weeks ago and stayed at Uma Agung Villa and she loved it.

If you wanted to dive, after Sideman you could head down to the coast at Candi Dasa and do some diving from there.

So many places ...

#3 Posted: 30/1/2012 - 19:59

• mattd82

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

Thanks guys. Very much appreciated.
    There are so many places hey? Too much choice! I was feeling a bit overwhelmed. Which is why I wanted to put some feelers out for suggestions, especially as we wanted to steer away from the Easter crowds a bit.
    I'll do a bit of research around the places you've suggested.
    Cheers

#4 Posted: 2/2/2012 - 03:16

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

If running into loads of other tourists is a concern, stay away from from kuta area, nusa dua, sanur and ubud. Everywhere gets relatively few visitors. If you cross off the requirement for surfing, Amed is a fantastic spot. Diving/snorkelling, relaxed, hardly any other tourists, but still sufficient facilities and good hotels.

One point of note, however, is that if you try too hard to avoid the crowds in Bali, you'll end up at the other end of the spectrum which some is magic and others hell. In other words, it's possible to be stuck in a place without other tourists and without some of the niceties you'd want from a more touristed place like accessible transport and western cafes. Just something to consider.

#5 Posted: 2/2/2012 - 06:49

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Mrs Travelfish has just added a blog entry on Sidemen -- you can read it here -- happy decision making!

#6 Posted: 2/2/2012 - 18:37

• mattd82

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

A friend just contacted me who was in Sideman last week and couldn't speak highly enough of it either. I think that is definately on the list!
    Thanks to you and Mrs Travelfish for the blog link!

#7 Posted: 6/2/2012 - 07:20

• mattd82

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2009

And I will keep your advise in mind too Mooball. We spent some time in West Kalimantan a couple of years ago, far from the tourist trail and definately far from amenities. Interesting, but definately not the relaxing type of holiday I'm hoping this to be!

#8 Posted: 6/2/2012 - 07:38

• screamin

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2011
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 36

Munduk is a great place in the mountains to the north of Bali.

#9 Posted: 7/4/2012 - 23:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.