Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Rent a motobike in Bali

• huegm

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2011
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi, I will be in Kuta in July, so I want to rent a motobike to go around. But i don't know whether there are some problems if a foreigner ride a motobike in Bali (will i get hassled by the police?) or not.
    Please give me some suggestions.
    Thanks.

#1 Posted: 30/1/2012 - 08:28

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

This piece on how to avoid motorcycle fines in Bali may be useful. Aside from that, be sure to check the bike over properly, wear a helmet, and you are legally supposed to have an international riders license.

I ride a bike regularly and haven't been pulled over in ages - it helps not to dress like a tourist. :)

#2 Posted: 30/1/2012 - 18:16

• huegm

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2011
    Location Vietnam

Posted from within Vietnam.

@somtam2000: Thanks for your information :).

#3 Posted: 30/1/2012 - 19:45

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

As Somtam said, if you don't have the correct licence you are riding illegally. And that means you have to pay a fine if you get pulled over by the police. If you crash and kill someone, you could be in all sorts of trouble with the law. If you crash and injure yourself, you may not be covered by insurance as you're committing an illegal act.

All that said, a lot of people ride motorbikes in Indonesia without trouble. Expect to pay less than 25,000 rupiah per day for a semi-auto bike if you take it for a month. It can climb as high as 50,000 rupiah for shorter-term rentals of new/auto bikes. Whatever the case, it's cheap.

Another tip to avoid getting pulled over by the police is to wear full length clothing such asjeans and a jacket. I know it's as hot as anything, but it stops you from getting burnt and it's what the locals where. You'll blend right in.

#4 Posted: 3/2/2012 - 03:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bali - rent-a-car and driving at night ... By damjanco on 3 Aug 2012 3 1315 5 Aug 2012