Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Indonesia budget and itinerary for 20 days

• helixusion

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2011

Hi All,

Travelling to Indonesia during September. Just got $1500 for 20 days excluding the airfare. Have got Bromo on my mind and bought a return ticket from Bali. Need a few tips and suggestions with other places that can be visited, that are not very expensive and touristy. Will the budget suffice?

#1 Posted: 18/2/2012 - 23:23

• Advertisement

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

The budget is fine. You can actually enjoy Indonesia and even Bali or much less than that, so with $1500 you will have a few luxuries, better accommodation and the ability to buy much more expensive food + beer.

Bromo is quite easy to get to from Bali, but I'd also recommend stopping in at kawah ijen on the way there. Not only is kawah ijen a highlight in intself, it will help break up your journey. Here's how to do it.

Catch a bus from Denpasar ubung terminal to Banyuwangi in java. It should take 4 hours or so depending on type of bus, weather, traffic etc. Stay overnight in Banyuwangi and catch an Ojek to kawah ijen the next morning at about 5am. See the crater and then use the Ojek for onward travel to Bondowoso where there are direct buses to probolinggo -- the place you need to get to for onward travel to bromo. Once in probolinggo, catch local transport to cemoro lawang on the edge of the tengger caldera where bromo is. If the buses have stopped, just catch another Ojek from probolinggo to cemoro lawang for 75,000.

Once your finished there, you can catch buses direct from probolinggo back to Denpasar.

It's actually pretty easy once you know how it works.

As for other spots in Bali, always recommend pemuteran area for snorkelling at menjangan, climbing on of the volcanoes, renting a motorbike and visiting smaller villages such as sideman, munduk, Amed and amlapura. You could even rent a car with the money you are taking.

All in all, you will be able to go to all the best places and do great activities with $1500. Definitely consider renting a car or motorbike for a roadtrip. Cars start at 100,000 per day in ubud and about 80,000 from kuta. Bikes start from around 20,000 dependent on type, age and length of rental. A single day on a newer automatic bike will cost about 50,000.

#2 Posted: 19/2/2012 - 05:56

• helixusion

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2011

@mooball Will be arriving at Surabaya from Bangkok, so have to go to Bromo before I can go towards Bali. When was the last time you were there ? A bus from Kuta, Bali to Ubud, Bali seems to cost 50,000 IDR.

#3 Posted: 19/2/2012 - 08:23

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Ah yeah, Surabaya, Bromo, Ijen, Bali is easy. Essentially you just catch a bus or train to Probolinggo and then the public bus from Probolinggo to Cemoro Lawang. Buses leave Surabaya from the bus station 11km south of town. You can catch a city bus with Bungurasih/Purabaya in the front window for 3,000 from memory to the bus station. Once at the bus station, the touts will put you on the right bus. The bus will either drop you off on the main road in Probolinggo or at the bus station. Either way, you will probably have a person from a tour company wanting to sell you a tour which includes everything you want to do (bromo, accom, transport, ijen, bali) and it's not a bad idea if you're uncomfortable with local transport. Otherwise, it's good fun to do it all by yourself.

If doing it independently, just follow my above instructions in reverse. I was there throughout December doing research for travelfish. It'll be online with good instructions soon.

The other option is travel from Surabaya to Malang and then Malang to Bromo, Bromo to Ijen. You can go up one side of bromo and then down the other giving you two perspectives. From the Malang side, it is also easy to take a slight detour to climb Gunung Semeru, the tallest mountain in Java.

One last thing. Most people give Surabaya a miss, but I think it's worth at least one day, probably two and maybe 3. Firstly, check out the cigarette factory and go on the free city tour from there. Well worth it. Secondly, make a day trip to Trowulan to see remnants of the Majapahit empire -- it's rarely visited by foreigners. Thirdly, check out the miscellaneous bits an pieces throughout town such as the old Chinese area, the submarine and the zoo. There are a few blog posts already up on travelfish that talk about this area of Java already and will give you some food for thought. The blog is here http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/bali/

#4 Posted: 19/2/2012 - 10:01

• helixusion

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2011

I will be reaching Surabaya at 11:35 pm, are there any night buses leaving for Probolinggo, don't wanna check-in to a hotel so late, as I have to leave in the wee hours of the morning for Bromo, can I hang out in the airport till dawn.

And, hey what about the budget, the prices that you quoted seems a bit too cheap.

#5 Posted: 19/2/2012 - 10:15

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Arriving at 11:35pm is going to be a pain. Not sure what you mean about having to leave at the wee hours of the morning for Bromo. You don't have to because it only takes 3 hours to get to Cemoro Lawang from Surabaya. You could get a hotel in Surabaya and leave at about 9am and still get there relatively early in the day.

Not sure about night buses to Probolinggo from Surabaya... I'd say there would be some that are coming from further west such as Yogyakarta and heading to Bali. But then you'd end up in Probolinggo around 2 or 3am. And then you're stuck until the first bus goes to Cemoro Lawang. It'd be better just to stay in Surabaya overnight, get some good sleep and then head out later in the day. If you want to save on accommodation, you could sleep anywhere really. Not sure if the airport is open, but that doesn't matter if saving money is the primary objective. Just find some newspaper and find a seat somewhere.

Your budget is fine. Indonesia is cheap. You can get a room in Surabaya for 60,000 rupiah per night.

#6 Posted: 20/2/2012 - 01:33

• helixusion

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2011

Thanks a lot. Can you give me some info on cheap hotels near Surabaya airport?

#7 Posted: 20/2/2012 - 13:13

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

I don't know any hotels near the airport, but I'm sure there will be some. Just ask the taxi driver to take you somewhere close to airport... The only problem is they probably won't speak English. Because you're arriving so late I'd be more inclined to head into the centre of Surabaya first because the language barrier might be too much of a problem at that time of night.

Cab should be 80,000 to Surabaya and a hotel 60,000 and above depending on how cheap you want.

If you can find someone at the airport that can speak English and take you to a nearby hotel, that would work too. Just don't rely on it. :)

#8 Posted: 21/2/2012 - 00:17

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

there are NO cheap HTLs at all near that airpot. In fact Srb is dire on cheap HTls-it is a Chinese bisniscity. I do not share that love for that big town-traffic is hell. Get enough smaller notes when you change the money to pay taxidriver-oh no-there are set prepaid coupons at airpt-like about anywhere in Indo.
    Those nitebuses from Solo/Yogya etc do NOT pass via Srbya-look at a map. They use some jalan toll far south. PLus; they do not do short pick ups-in Indo the better nitebuses fill up at deprture and bring anyone down till next morning-some people may get off shortly before and thats it.
    I would not rec. anyone to spend (assuming it is even possible-there is guarded and paid entry) the night in that busstation (that is also where the airportbus IF it runs sets you down-it stops by 19.00)-looks like a criminal place that late-and tons of mozzies that like sweetblooded orang putih.
    IN the airpt-there is always someone who speekee the ingrris. Just dont trust that they have the right info you seek-as I said normal tourists hardly ever go to Srb and the few cheap places like Bamboo Den that existed years ago have all been demolished. The best I can advise is to go back to AirAsia and see what HTLs they offer and DO prebook. it is really no fun in the mid of nite to go across that city looking for a placetosleep-there is no central strip or so. That submarine is just that-a rusty old thing -you see it in 3 mins.

#9 Posted: 21/2/2012 - 03:08

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

I guess everyone has different views of places, but yours is a particularly bitter view. I like Surabaya. There are plenty of cheap hotels, places to eat and things to do.

#10 Posted: 21/2/2012 - 03:17

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Getting the most out of 60 days in Indonesia! Itinerary help needed please! ... By firefly2280 on 11 Feb 2014 4 1057 15 Feb 2014
13 days Budget Itinerary Java Bali. Opinion? ... By jivie798 on 31 Mar 2013 4 2284 15 May 2013
Budget and Itinerary for 65 days in Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia ... By Floppy on 2 Oct 2012 0 1944 2 Oct 2012