Kuta, Lombok - Hideaway no more . . . what else

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

After hours of my Sunday researching places to stay in Kuta, I'd come down to the realization that the only place 'on' the beach in Kuta, Lombok is called Hideaway Bungalow - I mean, was on the beach, as none of the links worked, and I finally found this article that surely explains why none of the reviews run past 2010.

http://ravespot.wordpress.com/2010/08/30/american-pulls-plug-on-noisy-mosque-in-indonesia/

Interestingly, the owner comments at the end. So - anyone had any experience staying in Kuta? I'd looked at Mimpi Manis but it's a bit out of town, and the other top spot is a little upscale for what i'm going for (Yuli's Homestay 300,000 pre-peak). Any experience with a good location in town would be nice, especially if you know something on the beach.

#1 Posted: 18/3/2012 - 08:19

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hey Casey - I stayed a couple of nights at Kuta about 2 1/2 years ago. We just showed up and scouted around for a place to stay. There quite a few to choose from. Most were located along the beach road by memory. Not on the beach side, but on the other side of the road - 50m walk maybe.

We ended up at Sekar Kuning (Yellow Flower) which was a decent, family run place. Paid 100,000/night for good-sized, bright and spacious fan room, including breakfast. It's a friendly family run place, and they also had a decent restaurant. There were other options around with pools, etc for similar price, but they were packed out with people, and we preferred a quieter option.

I didn't think much of Kuta beach itself - not a great swimming beach. But head east to Mawan Beach for a spectacular golden-sand, crescent shaped beach. Fabulous swimming, crystal clear water, lovely golden sand. No hawkers - in fact, no other people! Caveat: it's a bone-crushing 10km journey to get there over some of the worst roads I saw in Indo! But it's worth it once you get there.

#2 Posted: 18/3/2012 - 14:28

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I stayed at Kuta Lombok in early October last year - but a bit upmarket. Thing is there is a heap of more or less beachfront places if you simply cruise down the main road into Kuta and turn left (east) onto the road along the coast. These are mainly the sort of places which are walk in but there are enough along the 800m or so to have vacancies in all but the busiest local holiday times.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the linked article - I found the locals in Kuta the friendliest of a multi-stop Bali/Lombok trip.
    And yeah, the beaches both east and west of town are gems, make the Gili islands look 2nd rate.

#3 Posted: 18/3/2012 - 17:28

• stever1000

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2013

What is the recent status on Kuta, Lombok? I read on travelfish that it was really nice and quiet, but it sounds like it is getting really busy and more expensive?

#4 Posted: 15/1/2014 - 18:38

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Afraid I opted for just lounging around on Gili Air because I didn't plan on doing any surfing and I was told other than that there isn't much going on in the area. Only hearsay here as well, but a few travelers I met in Java told me they didn't like the Kuta experience - a bit hassled by locals and didn't feel safe in renting motobikes to go around the area if not in a group. This was back in June 2012.

Tezza though has great knowledge of beaches around the region so I was really pulled to visit . . in the end I just couldn't be bothered to get off of Gili Air anyway.

#5 Posted: 15/1/2014 - 19:34

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I'm a great believer that if the place yer in now floats yer boat - whey change? So I can see why you stayed on Air - which I reckon is the best all 'round island in the Gilis anyway.
    Thing is - I'd like someone to update Kuta Lombok. Sweet area for me, but things change. Sometimes quickly.

#6 Posted: 16/1/2014 - 00:40

• adamyoshimi-
    te

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2014

Hi Casey. I stayed before in Villa Karang Kembar 3 in Kuta, and I booked it through this agent. This villa located just right next to the beach. You can feel the breeze of the sea and the sound of waves roaring every morning.
    The environment is really suitable for relaxation. It is so peaceful.

While it is quite pricey but I think it is worth it, since the atmosphere there really offer maximum pleasure and tranquility. Give it a try. :)

Hope it helps.

#7 Posted: 21/1/2014 - 22:19

• comtam3000

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2014
    Location United States

Any more recent information on Kuta Lombok? I plan on heading there with a friend tomorrow for some surf.

#8 Posted: 9/7/2014 - 20:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Some information about Kuta Lombok ... By tezza on 16 Nov 2011 0 3894 16 Nov 2011
Day trips to Gili Air-Lombok, Kuta-Ubud? ... By Nicol on 5 Feb 2011 3 4354 17 Feb 2011
Lodging Review-The Spot, Kuta Beach, Lombok ... By Wandering_man on 22 Nov 2010 4 4309 6 Jul 2012