Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Lake Toba / Berastagi / Bukit Lawang

• Sawf35

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2009
    Location Australia

Hi all,

A mate and I are arriving in Medan at about 17:00 on June 21st and flying out again at 8:00 on July 1st, giving us 9 full days.

We will obviously have to stay in Medan the night before we leave, due to the early flight, but we were wondering whether it is too ambitious to make it to all of Lake Toba, Berastagi and Bukit Lawang in that time?

If we have to skip one of those places, I'm leaning towards missing out on Berastagi based on the research I've done, but I'm interested in hearing other people's thoughts.

Also, it looks like we would have to go back to Medan in order to get to Bukit Lawang if we went to Lake Toba first - could this be done in a day?

Thanks in advance, any advice / recommendations will be most appreciated!

Cheers!

#1 Posted: 27/3/2012 - 18:23

• Advertisement

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia

I think it's a good amount of time for those 3 places. Berastagi is only a one-day stop and the other two you can take as long or short as you like. It's possible to get from Toba to bukit lawang in one day. It's just that there are quite a few different buses involved unless you take a shuttle bus which sometimes operates if there are enough customers.

If you've never climbed up a volcano before, I'd say berastagi is worth it.

#2 Posted: 27/3/2012 - 20:51

• pPamela

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location Australia

Yes, you can take all day to get from Bukit Lawang to Prapat Lake Toba and there is a good chance you might miss the ferry over to Samosir Island.
    If that happens spend the night in the so so Prapat.
    Here is some recent info from another forum about a hotel to stay in at Prapat.
    "There are plenty of hotels and eating places in Parapat if you end up overnighting there, and places stay open till pretty late. I stayed in the Hotel Sedayu on the main road, halfway up/down the hill, which was clean, fine for a night and has wi-fi in the reception area. There's also a hotel right in the terminal area itself, but most of the accommodation is closer to the lake and ferry berths (and souvenir shops). The bus terminal is at the top of the hill and central Parapet is basically a one street town with all the ATMs, rumah makan and shops running down from there.
    You can walk down from the bus station, or alternatively, arriving by minibus they'll drop you anywhere on the main street that you like.
    There's a turn-off to the port area down by the water on the right just as you enter town by the big yellow Polisi sign, another by the first garage on the right, further up the hill, and another near the bus station.
    Everywhere's walkable as long as you don't have too much gear, or take local transport.
    Just be aware that there is more than one actual port in Parapat, depending on your destination on Samosir. Boats for Tomok leave every 55 minutes.
    Hope this info' will be of help to future travellers to the area.
    Pamela

#3 Posted: 11/6/2012 - 03:14

• jghaines

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2009

For others following this thread:
    There are air conditioned tourist mini-buses that go between these three locations. They can be booked from most guesthouses in Bukit Lawang.

The bus from Bukit Lawang to Parapat on Lake Toba leaves at 08:30 and takes 7-8 hours meaning you'll get there in time for the last ferry to Tuktuk at 18:00. The ticket is 150'000rp and the ferry ticket is included in the price.

#4 Posted: 7/12/2012 - 08:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bukit Lawang - Tangkahan - Berastagi - Lake Toba (and maybe Bukittingi) ... By Harry05 on 2 Mar 2014 0 185 2 Mar 2014
Best accommodation Lake Toba ... By fontbleu on 10 May 2012 4 2635 1 Oct 2012
Getting from Lake Toba to Banyuwangi and then on to Bali. ... By Arikara1985 on 11 Apr 2014 3 155 16 Apr 2014
Argh! Traveling to Medan and then Lake Toba BUT... ... By Starving_Sound on 26 Nov 2013 1 516 13 Dec 2013