Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

September: how busy will it be?

• Jleef

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Hi all, firstly, sorry, if this old ground, but just curious as to how busy Indonesia tends to get in September? I've somewhat miraculously managed to get the whole month off work (go me!) and so looking into returning to SE Asia to see the countries I didn't see last time. Indonesia is on the short list, although I haven't ruled out the Philippines or even starting off again in BKK...

I like to vary my travels between both travelling off the beaten track/doing village homestays/hiring local guides, and partying in the more backpacker-popular beach and bar towns, and since I'm travelling solo it's important for me to be able to meet fellow travellers when I want to. My last trip was in May-July 2010 and I found some places (Hoi An for one) to be a little too light on the backpacker front. Will I have any trouble finding a crowd if I go looking for one?

I should add that I have literally no itinerary yet, and fully understand that certain parts of any country are going to be teeming with visitors whilst others will not - just getting a rough feel for now! Thanks!

#1 Posted: 1/4/2012 - 11:03

• Advertisement

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Outside of Bali, outside of June/July/August, Indonesia has hardly any visitors. I'm in Java at the moment and haven't seen another traveller for 3 days and I don't expect to see any over the next couple of days at least.

There is, however, a fairly well-trodden trail through Sumatra and Java that will allow you to see other travellers. It's basically entering Medan in Sumatra and heading south until you hit Padang and then flying to Jakarta and then heading through to Bogor, Bandung, Pangandaran, Yogyakarta, Bromo, Ijen. You'll likely see another foreigner every day -- the most being in Yogya.

#2 Posted: 3/4/2012 - 04:28

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Bali will be busy in much of September on account of Aussie school holidays. These people will mainly be around south Bali and Ubud. Nusa Lembongan and the Gilis in Lombok have been increasing in popularity in recent years. Google for holiday dates (they differ in different states) - NSW, Victoria and WA are the key ones in regard to Bali visitors.

#3 Posted: 3/4/2012 - 05:34

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

as above-for Bali its mainly OZzies-in their own ghetto.For the rest; to start the blinding obvious: most tourists are domestik-and they grow by the year. Compared to the 90ies westerners are much less in number. Many areas you will find westernised in very old guidebooks have for 99% taken over by those domestik orang turis-they can be a very sweet lot. People tend to ask these very boring s all the time out of anxiety and fear and scariness-that is completely unneeded.

#4 Posted: 3/4/2012 - 07:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.