Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Getting to Mt. Kelimutu

• iambabo

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2012

Hello, I'd love to see the lakes at Mt. Kelimutu on Flores. I'll be traveling from Bali to Flores to see the Komodo dragons and I'm wondering if it's best to fly directly to Maumere first, head to Mt. Kelimutu and then to Labuan Bajo from there. Is it easy to find a taxi/driver that will take me there and then to Labuan Bajo? Should I fly to Labuan Bajo and do a day trip? Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you!

#1 Posted: 6/4/2012 - 21:36

• Advertisement

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Hi, I've been to Labuanbajo and Maumere and all the usual tourist attractions in between. It is possible to get a driver in Maumere to take you to Labuanbajo via Kelimutu, but I doubt you'd be able to do it in a day. Kelimutu is close to Maumere, but Labuanbajo is at the opposite side of Flores and the road is long and windy the whole way.

How much time do you have? My advice would be to fly from Bali to Maumere and then get a driver to take you to Labuanbajo via Kelimutu and all the other things in between taking 3 days. You could even do it in 2 days, I'd say. 1 day I'm not sure about.

#2 Posted: 16/4/2012 - 11:33

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I spent over a week going across Flores (Maumere to Labuanbaju). We started out on a bus (mini-van), but gave up after the first day and hired a driver instead. That was the best thing we could have done as we got so much more out of the trip. But it's not cheap.

I have posted quite a bit about it in the past on this forum, so have a look for some of the older posts in the Indonesian section that have Flores in the title. I don't have time at the moment to dig them out since I'm supposed to be working (!), but post back here if you can't find them.

Flores was one of the most rewarding parts of Indonesia for me - well worth doing.

#3 Posted: 16/4/2012 - 16:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.