Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Getting to Mt. Kelimutu

Posted by iambabo on 6/4/2012 at 21:36

Hello, I'd love to see the lakes at Mt. Kelimutu on Flores. I'll be traveling from Bali to Flores to see the Komodo dragons and I'm wondering if it's best to fly directly to Maumere first, head to Mt. Kelimutu and then to Labuan Bajo from there. Is it easy to find a taxi/driver that will take me there and then to Labuan Bajo? Should I fly to Labuan Bajo and do a day trip? Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you!

#1 iambabo has been a member since 6/4/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by mooball on 16/4/2012 at 11:33 TF writer

Hi, I've been to Labuanbajo and Maumere and all the usual tourist attractions in between. It is possible to get a driver in Maumere to take you to Labuanbajo via Kelimutu, but I doubt you'd be able to do it in a day. Kelimutu is close to Maumere, but Labuanbajo is at the opposite side of Flores and the road is long and windy the whole way.

How much time do you have? My advice would be to fly from Bali to Maumere and then get a driver to take you to Labuanbajo via Kelimutu and all the other things in between taking 3 days. You could even do it in 2 days, I'd say. 1 day I'm not sure about.

#2 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 431
 Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Google+   Instagram 

Posted by busylizzy on 16/4/2012 at 16:01

I spent over a week going across Flores (Maumere to Labuanbaju). We started out on a bus (mini-van), but gave up after the first day and hired a driver instead. That was the best thing we could have done as we got so much more out of the trip. But it's not cheap.

I have posted quite a bit about it in the past on this forum, so have a look for some of the older posts in the Indonesian section that have Flores in the title. I don't have time at the moment to dig them out since I'm supposed to be working (!), but post back here if you can't find them.

Flores was one of the most rewarding parts of Indonesia for me - well worth doing.

#3 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.