Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Getting out of Bali

• Has

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2012

Hello!

I come seeking any advice/pointers anyone may have for me. This is the first time ive used such a forum and the wealth of knowledge on here is quite something. Its been some years since i last visited s/e asia and back then i was young and only interested in one thing- having a great time predominantly on the thai islands!

This time im flying into denpasar. I plan on spending a short amount of time in bali before making my way across to the gili islands and lambok. What ive found difficult is gettin an idea of the methods available and the cost of getting out of bail and surrounding islands. Ideally id like to shoot straight over to cambodia (phnom penh) but have been finding it difficlt to get any concrete info on flights/boats/busses!?

Having spent to much time at the cliche destinations some years back i have no interest in thailand/vietnam. but intend to move from bali to cambodia, through loas and into china. the later stages of that sequence seem relatively straightforward with regard to transport although any pearls of wisdom would be welcomed its getting from bali to cambodia that I would really appreciate some advice on, even if you can just point me in the right direction.

Massive thanks,
    Has

PS: any absolute must sees in the above location, shout at me x

#1 Posted: 10/4/2012 - 11:09

• Advertisement

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I've gone from Denpasar to Phnom Penh the last two years. I used AirAsia flights from Denpasar to KL and then from KL to Phnom Penh. If you take an early morning flight from Denpasar you will make the afternoon flight to PP. I think there is a 3pm flight to PP. The cost will vary depending on how far you book ahead.

#2 Posted: 10/4/2012 - 12:15

• Has

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2012

cheers tyler.

How much is the most you've paid if you dont mind my asking?

#3 Posted: 10/4/2012 - 13:37

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Denpasar to KL - I paid about $110us but I only booked it about 3-4 days in advance. If you book your flight about 2 weeks in advance you could expect to pay $80-100us.
    KL to PP - Again, I booked it 3-4 days ahead and paid about $120us. Same as above if you book in advance.
    I am trying to remember...I think I chose a more expensive flight from Denpasar to KL so I had enough time to make the afternoon flight to PP.

#4 Posted: 10/4/2012 - 16:52

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

It depends on when you go and what deals Air Asia have on at the time. I paid NZ$35 for a Bali to Singapore flight once a few years ago. Air Asia often do incredibly cheap deals - sometimes even 'free' tickets (although you still have to pay departure and other taxes). It's all about the timing.

I can see some promo fares now for Bali - KL, after picking some random dates in Oct for approx USD$70 for the base fare (excl taxes). Check out http://www.airasiaplus.com for a quick overview of prices by dates.

I also see that right now on the Air Asia website, they are promoting KL to Bali for USD$20 base fare if you fly Jun - Aug. It's the wrong direction for you, but you get the idea. It's all about the timing and your flexibility. Check out http://www.airasia.com for the airline website.

#5 Posted: 10/4/2012 - 18:51

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

One of the best ways to get to the Gilis is to go to Perama's office in Kuta and buy their bus/ferry ticket to the Gilis via Padangbai. This is pretty inexpensive - it would be cheaper to go to Padangbai and then take a ticket on one of the big vehicle ferries that goes to Lembar - but it is a real hassle getting from Lembar to the Gilis and not worth the saving IMHO.

Note that someone told me that Perama and other direct boats from Bali to the Gilis will soon be directed to go to the mainland at/near Senggigi which will add a bit of hassle because you will have to negotiate Bengsal where the small boats leave the mainland for the Gilis - but I have not heard if this has started. And frankly I'll be surprised if it flies - too many vested interests in boats going directly to the Gilis.

#6 Posted: 10/4/2012 - 21:06

• Has

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2012

thanks for the info, much appreciated.

has anyone gone from lambok to cambodia at all? just thinking if its possible to go from bali across to the gilis and then move out from lambok, save coming back!?

also i know this is outside indonesia but anyone gone from laos to china? shed any light?

#7 Posted: 11/4/2012 - 15:41

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

After doing some googling, I just learned that the Lombok International Airport has finally opened.
    From what I have found by googling, I suspect that you can only fly from Lombok to KL and Singapore.

There are only a limited number of airlines that fly into Lombok - refer here:
    http://www.skyscanner.co.nz/flights-to/lop/airlines-that-fly-to-lombok-international-airport.html

So you could fly from Lombok to KL, then Air Asia to Cambodia perhaps.

#8 Posted: 11/4/2012 - 18:38

• Has

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2012

Thanks busylizzy!

Im trying to figure out whether its possible to fly out of lambok to KL atm, its proing pretty tricky to get any concrete info.

On a more general note- if you were leaving bali to go to china (guangzhou) via cambodia and loas how would you do it? be great to get an idea of other peoples thinking!!

Thank you

#9 Posted: 12/4/2012 - 09:57

• rasi

Joined Travelfish
    19th April, 2012
    Location Australia

I just wanted to add, the domestic airport in Denpasar is crazy!! Be prepared to push and shove (and get pushed and shoved yourself) to get your luggage :) I felt so rude, but I would have never got my stuff otherwise...

#10 Posted: 19/4/2012 - 23:04

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.