Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Climbing Gunung Agung

• Newkid

Joined Travelfish
    20th September, 2011

Hello all,

I would like to climb Gunung Agung in July this year, with the idea of camping overnight at the summit, weather permitting I would like to photograph sunset and sunrise. I understand that there are two routes - one that goes all the way to the summit (need to start from Besakih temple and takes around 7 hours - some sections are quite tough...) and the other that goes only till the crater rim (need to start at Pasar Agung and takes about 4 hours).

I have a few questions and hope that someone can help...
    1. Is it possible to camp overnight either at the summit or the crater rim ?
    2. Any recommendations of a good guide with whom you would've climbed Gunung Agung ?
    3. Approx costs, including renting camping equipment.
    4. Any guesthouses that you can recommend which will be close to the base from where you start the climb OR even elsewhere who can help organize the climb ?

Thanks so much, in advance.

Cheers
    Newkid

PS : In addition to climbing Gunung Agung, has anyone climbed Mount Abang ? If yes, kindly share your experience. Thanks.

#1 Posted: 19/4/2012 - 23:45

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Climbing Gunung Agung on Bali ... By somtam2000 on 12 May 2013 6 1234 21 May 2013