Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Air Travel from Ambon to Banda islands

• oconnorra

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2012

Hi guys,

Does anyone know whether there is a flight from Ambon to the Banda islands? If so, what does the schedule look like and any idea of costs?

Thanks a lot!

#1 Posted: 21/4/2012 - 08:27

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

When I was in the Bandas last December there were no flights at all because NBA had had their license withdrawn after a crash on Sumatra but I just did a google for you and it seems they are flying Ambon-Bandaneira again now, 3 times a week.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2186468

NBA is a very small company using very old 20 seater planes and their flights often get get cancelled or changed at the last minute because of the weather or technical problems. Here is a photo of the plane

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8675349@N06/6030234799

As you can see, the runway on Bandaneira is quite short and there's sea and nearby mountains at both ends. Take off and landing are quite tricky and the pilots have to rely on good eyesight and old fashioned manual controls so if the weather looks a bit dodgy they often don't risk it.

There's supposed to a 10kg luggage weight limit on these planes BTW. On my flight the plane was very overloaded. A couple of overweight Hungarian divers had all their dive gear with them and the cabin attendant spent the whole flight anxiously asking how much everyone and their luggage weighed and doing sums.... they were obviously a bit worried the plane wouldn't manage to stay in the air. It's possible that the 10kg weight limit is much more strictly enforced now after the Sumatra crash but even if it isn't it's not in your best interests to deliberately overload one of these flying songthaews.

NBA don't have a website (not sure if they even have a computer in fact, their Bandaneira office certainly didn't have one when I bought a ticket there a couple of years ago) so you have to buy tickets locally, in Ambon or Bandaneira. Because the planes have a limited number of seats and ferries are very infrequent the flights are usually fully booked out in advance. In 2010 an NBA flight cost about 350,000Rp but I don't know if it's the same price now. Your best bet is to try and contact a guesthouse in Bandaneira before you go to ask what the current flight/ferry situation is. It's always changing and what was true at the beginning of this month may not be true now.

#2 Posted: 22/4/2012 - 17:42

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Correction:

Sorry, I forgot that I went to the Bandas twice last year! The NBA flight cost about 350,000Rp in Feb 2011.

#3 Posted: 22/4/2012 - 18:26

• Montigue

Joined Travelfish
    20th June, 2013

Does anybody has new information about the plane between Ambon and Banda?
    Are there flights again or do we have to take a pelni?

#4 Posted: 20/6/2013 - 14:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Pelni Schedule from Ambon to Banda for December 2013 ... By juxtaparadox on 22 Nov 2013 2 597 24 Nov 2013
6.5 weeks itinerary Jakarta to Banda islands and back again ... By oconnorra on 5 May 2012 1 1486 6 May 2012