Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Flying in from Canada to Indonesia

• Rukus

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2011

Hello travelers, I am planning a trip quiete soon within the next 2 months to go and travel SEA for 6 months or so. I'm coming from Canada and want to start south and work my way north west. So my basic question is what would be the ideal place to get a plane into in Indonesia? I'm seeing Bali everywere and that seems like a good place to start, but any experiance / knowledge passed on would be fantastic, thanks alot.

#1 Posted: 21/4/2012 - 15:04

• Advertisement

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada

I've flown into Denpasar the past two years. Both times I flew Vancouver - Taipei - Denpasar on EVA airlines. Great D class seats!
    If you've never been to SEA before Bali is a great place to start as it is very popular with Western tourists so you'll be able to find some comforts from home to combat the culture shock. This location also gives you the ability to travel onward to either Java or Sulawesi. And your next to the Gilis as well.
    You do have other choices like Jakarta and Medan but Bali, in my opinion, is the best option of the three in regards to the start of your trip. It is an easy place to get around, lots of English is spoken, great food, diving, beaches... Keep in mind that domestic flights are cheap so you can easily fly from Denpasar to another location depending on the direction you decide to take. (Lion Air, Garuda Air, AirAsia...)
    Some advice - avoid staying in Denpasar!
    Have fun.

#2 Posted: 21/4/2012 - 16:26

• Rukus

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2011

Ah that's perfect that's exactly what I wanted to hear, thank you very much.

Now as for direction of travel, I could go up by Singapore and Malaysia to Thailand but I'd love to see the Phillipeans the Banaue Rice Terraces and the chocolate hills look to good to pass up seeing those sights. Has anybody done this? and is it viable or would that be very expensive to swing over to the Philippians and then west to the mainland? by the looks of it there would be a few couple hour long plane rides which would be costly no?

#3 Posted: 21/4/2012 - 16:37

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Depending what Canadian city you're flying from.... BK or HK are the cheapest and from there AirAisa. Japan Airlines may be worth checking out.

#4 Posted: 21/4/2012 - 18:59

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

It is possible to find flights from Canada-Manila that cost about the the same as Canada-BKK or Canada-HKG. The advantage of Canada-BKK/HK is that there are more flights available so there are more opportunities to get cheap flights.

The cost of flying on a budget airline from Manila to another SEA city like SG, KL, BKK is about $100-150.

#5 Posted: 22/4/2012 - 07:25

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Definitely fly into Bali. From there you can either choose to see a few of the eastern islands such as Lombok and Flores or just head west and north through Java and Sumatra, then to Singapore/Malaysia and onto Thailand. A flight to the Philippines would be from whichever city has the cheapest flights. I'd say it's probably going to be KL in which case you'd just get a return flight Manila and then continue your journey northwards once you get back to KL.

#6 Posted: 25/4/2012 - 06:55

• Rukus

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2011

Flights into Bali are looking expensive, $1000USD one way is cheapest i'm finding from vancouver to denpasar. even bangkok is 800ish, anybody know any tips about flights?

I found flights to europe (london) for $400usd maybe i can fly there and then to indonesia for cheaper then a straight flight from canada hah.

but yea $1000USD is that about regular or any tips/ tricks for a cheaper flight would be nice, if anybody has experiance with this I would like to know. thanks

#7 Posted: 13/6/2012 - 15:01

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada

$1000 sounds about right...

#8 Posted: 13/6/2012 - 21:21

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

Rukus,

Try to look at flying into Singapore and than taking Jet Star to DPS. Depending on the travel dates, I've seen the Vancouver-SG fare dip down to CA$585 (August 2012). The SG-DPS fare will be about $100, again it depends on your travel dates.

The problem is that the data of some budget airlines like Jetstar are not in the search engines/booking websites. So it makes it more difficult to find these cheaper combos.

#9 Posted: 13/6/2012 - 22:37

• Rukus

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2011

As for Visa's the visa on arrival will give me 30 and then I can extend by another 30 if I am not mistaken, but it also says it requires a round-trip plane ticket. I'm flying in on a one way ticket, so does this part of it really matter? Or I see there is a social-cultural visa that is good for 60 days but I don't exactly meet those requirements either, since I'm just back packing through the country, (not visiting friends/family or visiting educational institutes ect) I have no idea how solid these rules are or if I will be fine getting a cultural visa just for backpack travel through the country. Any expertise would be greatly appreciated.

#10 Posted: 28/6/2012 - 22:11

• Advertisement

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

My advice would be to just get the 60 day tourist visa in advance from your nearest Indonesian Embassy. Should cost about $60.

#11 Posted: 29/6/2012 - 03:45

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada

The 60 day visa is your best bet and should be east enough to get before you leave Canada - if you still have the time. If your pressed for time then get the 30 day on arrival and extend it while in Indonesia. I have done this 2 x in Denpasar and once in Surabaya - it will take at least 3 business days. As for proof of flying out of Indonesia - I had to produce a ticket out of Indonesia each time I renewed my visa. You could prebook the cheapest flight to KL or Singapore before you leave Canada...This way you have a flight out and if it doesn't mesh with your timeline then you can change it or even walk away from it if you have to get a new ticket. I have seen flights on AirAsia from Surabaya to KL for around 20-30$US...if booked far enough in advance...

#12 Posted: 30/6/2012 - 10:34

• Rukus

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2011

alright awesome, thanks a lot for the information I feel a bit more confident on my plans now.

#13 Posted: 30/6/2012 - 12:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
25 / m / Canada - Indonesia ... By Rukus on 11 Aug 2012 2 716 28 Aug 2012
22 y/o solo male from Canada - Heading south from Laos to Indonesia Feb-April ... By alreadythere on 25 Jan 2011 0 1357 25 Jan 2011