Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Best route through Indonesia

• fontbleu

Joined Travelfish
    22nd February, 2012

Hi guys,

I am in Malaysia at the moment and will travel to Indonesia in the next 3 days on a 60 day visa - very excited!

I'm just not sure what is the most efficient route through Indonesia, as I want to see Sumatra, Java, Lombok, Flores, Gili Islands, Kalimantan, and Sulawesi.

I am happy to fly, but keen to get any advice on the best route that will allow me to see as much as possible with the minimal amount & cost travelling

My destination after Indonesia is the Philippines if that has a bearing on things...

thanks for your help, FB

#1 Posted: 30/4/2012 - 01:11

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

That's a huge area you want to cover. I very much doubt you'd be able to see it all in 60 days, particularly if you want to keep costs minimal. You'd have to spend a great deal of money on flights, not just between these islands but also within them.

Where are you flying in and out of Indonesia? It's a bit hard to figure out the best route without this information!

#2 Posted: 30/4/2012 - 03:05

• fontbleu

Joined Travelfish
    22nd February, 2012

Ok that sounds like I need to focus on certain areas!

I have a totally flexible schedule, I am flying from Kuala Lumpur but have no booked flight so that is flexible, and then in 2 months I plan to visit the philippines, but if i can extend my Indonesia visa in country then I may do so

not sure which areas are best to focus on...I have been to Bali and not so much looking for the party scene, more looking at indigenous cultures and climbing volcanoes with a bit of diving thrown in

thanks again, fb

#3 Posted: 30/4/2012 - 04:27

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I am flying from Kuala Lumpur but have no booked flight

Ah, I assumed you'd already got your flights booked.... well, time is very short, so first things first. Have already got that 60 day visa in your passport? You can only get a 30 day visa on arrival. If you want a 60 day visa you'll have to go to the Indonesian Embassy to get it. I've never used the embassy in KL but in Bangkok they need a copy of your flight tickets.

Where to go.... well Sulawesi has some interesting indigenous cultures in Tana Toraja and some pretty good diving and a volcano or two near Manado (which may or may not be erupting, haven't checked recently)... and it's a big island so there are plenty of more off the beaten track places you could check out if you have time. It kinda fits your wish list and might be a good place to start but Air Asia Air only fly from KL to Makassar 3 or 4 times a week so it might not fit your schedule (assuming the flights aren't already full).

For the exit flight, maybe base your choice on places places which have direct flights to the Philippines (or cheap connecting flights via somewhere). Can't check because I'm a bit busy right now but I presume Jakarta would have some direct flights....and maybe some other places do too.

#4 Posted: 30/4/2012 - 09:48

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Afterthought

Or fly into Sumatra. I don't know it as well as Sulawesi and I've only done a bit of the north (a long time ago) but there's diving off Pulau Weh and the Bataks on Lake Toba have a similar kind of culture as the people in Tana Toraja ...similar strange funeral rites (not as often though) and similar unusual house architecture. Then there are the orang utans at Bukkit Lawang to see as well. You could fly into Medan or Banda Aceh and start there if Air Asia has flights from KL too...I think they do but not 100% certain. Check out the Air Asia site to see what your options are.

#5 Posted: 30/4/2012 - 10:21

• oxford2008

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2012

hi there! i can help you with that. i'll be travelling around Indo as well in May, and I'll be staying there for about 6 weeks so about 50 days ish.. and i have to admit it took me literally days to wrote my plan down.. so hope this would help! so basically I'll start off from Jakarta, then Kalimantan to see the orangutans and the dayak people, then off to manado to see tomohon market (place where they sell cook and eat bats, rats, and other disgusting things, and i find this interesting somehow :p) and then to togian islands (google it, it looks fantastic) then toraja (they have a really fascinating funeral tradition), then stay on a stilt house in makassar, off to labuan bajo to see komodo dragons and to seraya islands (google it!) and from labuan bajo get a bus all the way down to lombok, gili, and then bali. from bali, get another bus to mt. bromo, then yogyakarta, then finally train ride back to jakarta. this might sound confusing especially if you havent done any research about any of these places, but i suggest you to go on google, type them places and map them around, and then i suppose this would make more sense..

and also as i mentioned earlier, I came up with this plan after days of researching, and it was tiring. so i would not want you to feel the same way. therefore, i could send you my travel details, so you could use that as sort of a guideline for your trip!

hope you enjoy your time in Indo!

best regards

Bima

#6 Posted: 30/4/2012 - 20:23

• oxford2008

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2012

give me your email address and i'll send you my travel plan, ive got everything from the name of the company, price, and journey time between places!

#7 Posted: 30/4/2012 - 20:25

• fontbleu

Joined Travelfish
    22nd February, 2012

hi oxford 2008..that sounds really useful thank you...for some reason I cant send you a private message though?

#8 Posted: 30/4/2012 - 21:46

• oxford2008

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2012

hi sorry about that yes i just got it sorted out. have you changed your message setting to 'enable' and changed your profile to 'public'?

#9 Posted: 30/4/2012 - 21:52

• oxford2008

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2012

or if you could send your email address on a private message, because my plan is on an excel document! or pdf.. :) cheers!

#10 Posted: 30/4/2012 - 22:08

• Advertisement

• john_f

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2010

I don't think 2 months is long enough to do what you want to do, so you need to think about what islands you wish to visit the most or stay for longer. I think you can now get a 2 month visa before you arrive and this can be extended by 1 month at a time once you are there. This sounds like the best idea for you.

If you are starting in KL, I think the best place to go to first would be Sumatra. If you want to go to Aceh, then fly to Banda Aceh, otherwise fly into Medan. You can then make your way down to Padang. There's lots of indigenous cultures, volcano's and wildlife (including orangutans) and jungle to see. From Padang you could then head to the Kerinci valley, which is a great area - Mount Kerinci (the largest volcano in Indonesia) and lake gunung tujuh - which means 7 mountain lake - it is a crater lake in the jungle at about 2000 metres - there are allegedly tigers in the jungle there but it's almost impossible to see them. You could easily spend 6 to 8 weeks in Sumatra, particularly if you visit Aceh and Pulau Weh, Nias and the Mentawi islands as well.

The next logical place to go is Java, but if you fly you could go somewhere else. Java is the best place to do side trips to Sulawesi and Kalimantan. So you could see Java and then head over to Sulawesi from Surabaya, or head on through Java to Bali and then on to Lombok, Sumbawa and Flores. From Flores you can head to Sumba, which is a very interesting island culturewise and/or head on through to Alor which takes you through some very interesting and beautiful islands. From Alor/Sumba/Flores, the best thing to do is probably to fly back to Java or Bali to head to Sulawesi or Kalimantan. From Alor, you would probably need to go via Kupang in Timor and from Sumba you would probably need to go back to Flores and fly back from Maumere.

I've only been to Makassar and Tana Toraja in Sulawesi. The Tana Toraja area was definitely worth seeing. I haven't been to Kalimantan, so can't comment on that area. If you see Sumatra in detail - going to Nias and the Mentawi islands as well as the jungle, it may not be worth going to Kalimantan as it may be similarish.

#11 Posted: 1/5/2012 - 03:16

• fontbleu

Joined Travelfish
    22nd February, 2012

john_f that is awesome thank you. think my plan is going to be follow much of what you're saying - im landing in medan on thursday, see north sumatra and then head east

nice one!

#12 Posted: 2/5/2012 - 05:01

• Ducky92

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2013

Oxford2008 or fontbleu I was hoping to be a little bit cheeky and ask if i could have a copy of your travel plan through indonesia! me and my friend are looking to travel there in august and your plan sounds amazing! hope you have a great time and that i have caught you before you go!!!

#13 Posted: 8/5/2013 - 09:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.