Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

60 day Indonesian visa - how to...

• fontbleu

Joined Travelfish
    22nd February, 2012

Hi guys

thought i'd share how i got my 60 day indo visa. very simple - went to the Indo embassy in kuala lumpur. turn up at 10am at the latest and you can get it done for the next day - just need two passport photos and photo copies of your face page in your passport and photo copy of the visa you have for entry to malaysia. costs 175 rm

Give it back to you next day, but i believe are closed on Wednesdays. Telephone number of embassy for any further questions is 03 21164000 ext 4013/4014

NOTE - the location on google maps for embassy in KL is wrong. Closest pub transport is bukit bintang i believe, address 233 Jalan Tun Razak, on embassy row next to Kuwait embassy

QUESTION - does anyone know the situation with extending visa? e.g. when i get to jakarta having been in Indo for 2 weeks, can i get an extension then, or just when I'm about to run out?

fb

#1 Posted: 2/5/2012 - 05:09

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

1. most westerners do not need any visa to enter MY-be precise-likely you just mean the stamp for entry in your passprt?
    2.re your Q; there is no set rule-and in anycase JKT is a VERY bad place to apply for anything burocratic. I also doubt in fact you can extend that 60-day visum- most report that flying in+out is the best way for an extended stay-if you travel around that should not be too hard and might even save some money (Air Asia or LIONair-via KUL or SIN).
    But after just 2-3 weeks , IF hey do it at all, is too early-wait till later-and prepare for any refuse.

#2 Posted: 3/5/2012 - 06:43

• savorygal

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2010

A 60 day (social visa) can be renewed or extended up to 4 times (60 days each) and you do not have to wait until it expires or is nearly expired to do so. You can take it to the immigration office yourself, but I have always just given it to a visa agent, which are virtually everywhere, and you usually get your passport back within 5 days. It costs 550,000- 600,000 IDR.

#3 Posted: 3/5/2012 - 13:15

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I met tourists tearing their hair out trying to get an extension in Makassar a couple of years ago and I've a feeling it was going to cost them rather more than 600,000Rp. I think it depends on where you are how easy it is.

Bali might be one of the easier places but I'm not sure.

Interesting to learn that the consulate in KL does not need to see air tickets in and out of Indonesia. The one in Bangkok does (as does the Indonesian consulate in my home country) so I might try KL next time! I hate having to try and predict where I'll be leaving from in advance.

#4 Posted: 3/5/2012 - 14:06

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

You can't extend a 60 day tourist visa. The only way around this is to visit and agent and pay them to "convert" it into a social budaya visa which is extendable. Not all agents do this, but a great one in Jakarta and Bali is Bali Mode. Great because they are familiar with tourists. Just be warned they charge more than most for the service.

#5 Posted: 8/5/2012 - 05:26

• pPamela

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location Australia

Hi Fontbleu,

Contrary to what mooball has told you - YOU CAN EXTEND a 60 Day Visa at 30 days at a time for up to 4 times. Cost by the book is 250,000 rupiah per extension but sometimes you will get charged a bit more - well it is Indonesia!!

Anyone else reading this post might like to know that one can also extend a 30 day VISA ON ARRIVAL by 30 days for 250,000 rupiah but this can only be extended once.

And anyone else thinking of getting a 60 day visa in KL just be aware that the granting of 60 days is a very random thing - sometimes it is granted other times not and only a 30 day visa given. And No Explanation given either.
    This topic has been discussed many many times on LP Thorn Tree Indonesia forum.
    Pamela.

#6 Posted: 11/6/2012 - 02:57

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Pamela, which immigration office do you go to get a 60day tourist visa extension? I've never heard of anyone extended a 60 tourist visa.

#7 Posted: 11/6/2012 - 03:22

• pPamela

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location Australia

Hi mooball,

I am sure we have had this conversation before somewhere.
    This extension of the 60 day Indonesian travel visa has been happening SINCE 2007.

Pre August 2006 a traveller would apply for and receive a 60 day Indonesian travel visa OUTSIDE Indonesia and the visa was No. 411.
    About August 2006 that changed, and the 60 day Indonesian travel visa became a No. 211 which is the same number as a Indonesian Social Visa.
    I know about the dates because my 60 day Indonesian travel visa I obtained here in Sydney in June 2006 was a 411.
    However my second 60 day Indonesian travel visa obtained in Singapore had the No. 211.
    At the time I knew nothing about this. Just entered Indonesia spent almost another 60 days there and flew to Penang to get yet another 60 day visa.
    In 2006 I spent almost 6 months travelling from Lombok wes through to Pulau Weh - best 6 months of my life wandering around my favourite country.
    Lived my dream every single day.
    Not 100% sure when the first traveller started to mention it on LP Thorn Tree Indonesia forum, but DerekinAsia had been extending his 60 day Indonesian visa since 2007.
    Soon travellers were mentioning you could go to the immigration office with an Indonesian sponsor and extend your visa by another 30 days for 250,000 rupiah.
    Check out this set of posts
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1629769&messageID=14590196#14590196
    Here is a post written on 26th August discussing 60 day visa extensions from August 2008.
    There is also a link within the posts which is worth reading too.
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1656048
    Here is a post from TT - 2009 that mentions how a traveller got an extension in Ambon.
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1852950
    and this post again from TT.
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1817138

The advantage of a 60 day Indonesian travel visa against a Social Visa is that one can travel around and extend the visa by 30 days at any large town immigration office, whereas with the Social Visa one has to extend at the same office for the whole period of time.
    That makes travelling great distances impossible.
    And be aware everyone travelling around Indonesia WITHOUT your passport on your person is ILLEGAL and you can get into loads of trouble.
    FOR CURRENT UP TO DATE INFORMATION ON ALL INDONESIAN TRAVEL VISAS ETC.
    this forum is a Must See.
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forum.jspa?forumID=23&keywordid=95

Pamela.

#8 Posted: 11/6/2012 - 19:24

• fontbleu

Joined Travelfish
    22nd February, 2012

Hey Pamela

I am in sulawesi at the moment, flying to Myanmar for 1 month at the end of June and then back into Bali - what would your recommendation be regarding visas?

Am i able to extend my expired 60 day at the VOA desk at Denpasar airport, or will I need to apply for a new one outside the country? any advice much appreciated!

regards, FB

#9 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 08:06

• pPamela

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location Australia

Hi FB,

You answered your own question. Once you leave Indonesia your 60 day expires and you need a new one.
    Yes, you will need to apply for a new 60 day visa outside Indonesia- best places Bangkok, Penang and Singapore.
    You could try KL but it seems to be a bit like a lottery getting a 60 day visa from there. Sometimes one will get one another time no.
    No reason no logic!!
    This has been discussed frequently on TT forum.
    Hope this has been of some help.
    What part of Indonesia will you explore on your return!
    Pamela

#10 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 09:11

• Advertisement

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Just wanted to add that extending a 60 tourist visa is not supposed to be done. You might get lucky, but the law states that it's not supposed to be done. So if anyone chooses to do it, do it at your own risk.

#11 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 11:00

• pPamela

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location Australia

Hi Mooball,

I am not sure where you get this opinion from, but the 60 travel visas have been extended since 2007 as posts on TT indicate.
    And travellers are constantly extending their visas when in Indonesia.
    You sound like the other poster who used to write on TT about what you just said.
    He thought he was All Knowledgable but eventually gave up.
    As I mentioned above to the readers of this forum.
    Head over to Thorn Tree for up to date info and recent posts on experiences of extending visas etc
    Pamela

#12 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 17:39

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Hey Pamela, what's with the insults and poor attitude?

Anything in Indonesia is possible despite being illegal. Extending a 60 day visit visa with a tourism category isn't in accordance with the rules. I guess you do it at your own risk, but it'd awful to be trying to extend illegally in somewhere like Ambon only to be refused and have to try and arrange flights out of the country immediately.

#13 Posted: 12/6/2012 - 23:31

• pPamela

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location Australia

Hi Everyone,

Contrary to what was previously written about Ambon - it is indeed possible to get an extension on a 60 day visa ( B211) in Ambon.
    Discussed on LP Thorn Tree Indonesia forum.
    Oct 2011http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2115055
    and
    2009 http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1852950
    Pamela

#14 Posted: 27/7/2012 - 04:52

• letmeinplz

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2012

You can't extend a 60 day tourist visa. The only way around this is to visit and agent and pay them to "convert" it into a social budaya visa which is extendable. Not all agents do this, but a great one in Jakarta and Bali is Bali Mode. Great because they are familiar with tourists. Just be warned they charge more than most for the service.

#15 Posted: 9/8/2012 - 06:18

• pPamela

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location Australia

Hi letmeinplz,

What you have written is completely untrue?

Why would anyone want to convert the tourist visa to a social visa WHEN the tourist visa has had the same no. as the social visa since August 2006. That number being 211.
    That is why one is able to extend it by 30 days at a time for 250,000 rupiah.
    The advantage over the social visa is that you can extend in different places in Indonesia and NOT be restricted to your orginal arrival place in Indonesia for extentions as is the case with the social visa.

Have a read of all the links I have posted above from Lonely Planet Thorn Tree forum where travellers have been extending their 60 tourist visa for years.
    Laszlo one of the most prolific and long term travellers to Indonesia who has lived there for years and wrote the last little language book for LP, he has been extending his 60 day tourist visa for years.

Anyone traveller confused by some of the incorrect information posted here about extension of 60 day tourist visas please go to LP Thorn Tree Indonesia forum and post your queries there.
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forum.jspa?forumID=23&keywordid=95
    Recent posts about how easy it is to extend your 60 day tourist visa in Maumere Indonesia, with experiences from April 2012 to two recent extensions by dc1 ( Donnie) who is currently spending a number of months in Indonesia.
    http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?messageID=20127302#20127302

Pamela

#16 Posted: 9/8/2012 - 19:34

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Hey Pamela,

How many people travelfish users do you think...

1. Have never heard of Lonely Planet

2. Are unaware that Lonely Planet has a travel forum called Thorntree

3. Do not know how to use the google search engine

4. Choose to use Travelfish because they want to read about TT

5. Really appreciate having an incredibly arrogant newbie with no relevant travel experience constantly telling other posters that everything they say is rubbish.

6. Also really appreciate being repeatedly told to go to another forum rather than using the one they've chosen to use.

What reaction do you think you'd get if you waded onto TT with this obnoxiously patronizing attitude towards the posters on there? And don't you think the mods would come down on you like a ton of bricks if you started systematically posting links to a rival forum and telling everyone to go there instead? (Is anyone else itching to hit the spam alert button on this thread?)

Anyway, although I didn't bother clicking on all your TT links (because, like every other TF user, I'm perfectly capable of doing my own searches if necessary thank you) I did look at the last one you posted out of idle curiosity to see why it proved so conclusively that what letmeinplz said was untrue.

Here's what the TT poster said.
    Quote:

"I'm currently dealing with Maumere Immigration for the second time - they initially granted me my first 30 day extension of a 60 day tourist visa. They told me they could only extend the 60 day tourist visa by way of an extension to a social visa which meant I would be required to provide a sponsor (but no outward proof of travel was required).
    I'm now extending my tourist/social visa for the second time after spending the past 30 days in Lembata / Alor etc.

The cost is 250,000 for the extension with an additional 15,000 for the file to be made up. My sponsor requires 200,000 to accept responsibility for the duration of my travels over the next 30 days."

So in fact what Mooball and letmeinplz said was right all along then. Great, glad that's sorted, means we won't have to endure getting swamped with any more references to TT ... phew!

#17 Posted: 12/8/2012 - 20:58

• pPamela

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011
    Location Australia

Hi SBE,
    Phew glad you were able to get all that angst off your chest.
    Such an over emotional reaction.
    Maybe I do need to stand corrected about the conversion though that has never been mentioned before on other forums.
    But it still does not alter the fact the 60 day visa can be extended.
    Pamela.

#18 Posted: 12/8/2012 - 21:32

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Angst? What angst? I can assure you I wasn't feeling in the least anxious and fearful when I wrote that post! LOL

MAYBE you need to stand corrected pamela? Is that the best you can do as an apology for being so unnecessarily rude to Mooball and letneinplz? You posted a link that clearly demonstrates they weren't wrong at all. There's no "maybe" about it!

And what do you mean you've never seen this mentioned on other forums before? You said it was posted on TT back in April but it's only now that you've noticed what the guy actually said? Good grief, how did that happen? Don't you read links before posting them?

OK, well to clear up all the confusion you've now created about whether it's legal or not to extend a 60 day tourist visa, how about looking at what the official texts say?

From what I've been able to gather (from looking at various sources other than TT) 211 is an index for a 60 day visit visa for non-working purposes that can be issued for various reasons such as governmental, business, tourism and socio cultural. Of these types, only the 60 day tourist visa cannot be extended, all the others can.

In this official text dating from 1994, article 35 paragraph 3 clearly states that 60 day tourist visas cannot be extended.

http://www.deptan.go.id/kln/daftar_phln/PP%201994%20No%2032%20ttg%20Visa.pdf

As far as I can make out, that law on 60 day tourist extensions was not modified when the new index number system came into effect in April 2006. If you know of a more recent official legal text that clearly states 60 day tourist visa extensions are now allowed then please do post a link to it pamela...I'm sure we'd all be very happy to hear about it! (Speculation by a bunch of foreign tourists on a travel forum is not an official source, so TT just won't do I'm afraid.)

"But it still does not alter the fact the 60 day visa can be extended."

God your reading comprehension skills really are appalling aren't they. Please reread posts #5 , #11 and #13 more carefully. Nobody has disputed the fact that it's possible to extend a 60 day visa.... as Mooball said, anything is possible in Indonesia. The question is whether 60 day tourist visa extensions are legal or not yet. The only change in the law that I'm aware of is that it's been possible to extend a 30 day VOA for a further 30 days since 2010.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2010/01/28/onarrival-visa-60-days.html

#19 Posted: 14/8/2012 - 11:21

• lvds

Joined Travelfish
    11th October, 2012

Moobali and SBE are absolutely right. Or pPamela was extremely lucky, or it's all hear say.

A Tourist Visa is NOT the same as a Sosial Budaya visa with a sponsor. Granted, the stickers in your passport look alike. (But not identical anymore.)

When someone succeeded in extending a Tourist Visa, most often they had to apply with a sponsor; so that's a mistake by the Indonesian immigration who thought they were dealing with a SosBud, a simple mixup.

Two other 'nice to knows': Nowadays a VOA can be extended. You need to enter RI with a SosBud when you want to apply for a KITAS (residence permit for one year), a Tourist Visa won't cut it.

LAW TEXT:

KEPUTUSAN MENTERI KEHAKIMAN REPUBLIK INDONESIA NOMOR M.02-IZ.01.10 TAHUN 1995
    TENTANG VISA SINGGAH, VISA KUNJUNGAN, VISA TINGGAL TERBATAS, IZIN MASUK, DAN IZIN KEIMIGRASIAN

Pasal 47

(1)Izin Kunjungan dapat diperpanjang kecuali untuk Izin Kunjungan Wisata.

(2)...

#20 Posted: 11/10/2012 - 20:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Indonesian needs visa? ... By wildaribka on 2 Dec 2008 1 4375 11 Dec 2008
Indonesian Visa ... By SBKM on 27 Mar 2013 1 924 27 Mar 2013