Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Accommodation - how much?

• ben130892

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2012

I will soon be leaving for Indonesia and will be travelling for 60 days across the months of June, July and August and am thus wandering how much, roughly, accommodation, or in fact general living, will cost in these months. I am happy slumming it in low budget hostels as long as I have the basics of a shower and a bed! Also more than happy eating local street food and often have a dine as they do attitude.

I plan to travel from Jakarta to Gili Islands, potentially on to Flores dependent on time.

Many thanks for any help given,

Ben.

#1 Posted: 17/5/2012 - 10:56

• Advertisement

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada

If you are happy in a low budget hostel then you shouldn't have to pay more than few US dollars. You'll find losmen costing roughly $5-10 and cheaper hotels (single, air, fan, private bathroom) roughly $10-15.
    I usually paid $1-3(with iced tea) when eating at local stalls. I can't remember paying more than $1-2 (sometimes less) for a scooter. My experience only lies within Java and Bali. The Gili Islands will be your most expensive stop. If you want to avoid a 17 hour night bus (not a bad idea!) try Garuda and Lion Air for domestic flights. And the train in Java in comfortable if you get the 1st class...the regular cars are packed with people and get a bit stuffy.
    Have a great trip!

#2 Posted: 17/5/2012 - 19:00

• ben130892

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2012

Thanks for your reply! Yeh very happy living on a low budget and often find it a lot more fun doing so! I will probably be looking at trains most places, did a 30 hour night bus from Vientiane (Laos) to Hanoi (Vietnam) and am definitely reluctant to avoid that experience again if possible!!!

Out of interest, if you could recommend one spot not to miss, what would it be?

Cheers

#3 Posted: 20/5/2012 - 05:49

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada

That all depends on what you want to do... I would say Mt. Bromo and Borobudur are two of the more visited places and could be on most people's do-not-miss list.
    For myself - seeing what is left of the villages adjacent to Mt. Merapi. The locals there are rebuilding after the eruption and you'll be able to wander around and talk with the families that are still there. It helps immensely if you can speak some Bahasa as most locals have a very limited ability to speak English - if at all.

#4 Posted: 20/5/2012 - 10:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.