Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Indonesia

• Pascall

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2012

Hi, I'm hoping to get to see Indonesia this summer around August! Unfortunately I have possibly on 3-4 weeks due to work! I'm aiming to do it in a budget appro 500 pounds! I have experience in Asia and south America so have no issue with long journeys! Can anyone advise places to see in that time or if 500 is enough for internal travel, food and accommodation? Also is it best to fly into Jakarta or Bali? Any help would be great thank you

#1 Posted: 23/5/2012 - 04:06

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

What sort of travelling are you looking for? What are your interests? Beaches/islands, touristy party areas, trekking, less-travelled rural areas, temples, nature, food? It's hard to give suggestions about where to go when we don't know sort of things you are looking for.

Once we understand that, we can then answer your other questions about budget, and best place to arrive.

There is some good coverage on Bali and Java on this website, and there are some good posts about Lombok and Flores in the forum area.

#2 Posted: 23/5/2012 - 15:14

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

lets take the simple average: 25 days, is 20/day, or about 25 eur, a valuta more commonly known and recognised. Should be plenty enough-if your previous exp. was low-budget.Flights are extra of course-that will be more, certainly summer, as that 500.
    So-AMer has really nothing to do with there, nor give any advantage in hablar espanol.
    The tipical 1st timer route-simply follow the small crowd, is indeed the Jakarta/Java treck via java to bali and eat up the rest at some beach there and fly home from there also.

#3 Posted: 24/5/2012 - 07:12

• Pascall

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2012

Hi busylizzy and captain bkk

Well I'd love to do a bit trekking especially due to the unique nature of the volcanoes in and around Indonesia. So nice scenery would be great but that would also include a bit if time in beaches as its another factor Indonesia is famous for! In previous places I like soaking up a bit of the inner city life whilst away but from what I'm hearing Jakarta doesn't seem to have the same feel as say Hanoi, Bangkok or other Asian cities! What do you think? I's Bali worth it it had it gone the way of so many Asian islands that's just full of gap year students constantly drinking? Don't get me wrong go social scene would be a plus on any place visited I'm just not sure 3-4 weeks will give me time to see most aspects I've mentioned! Price wise do you know average for internal travel food accommodation etc? With it being peak season in August I'm assuming it will be higher? How's the weather there during this period?

#4 Posted: 24/5/2012 - 09:10

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

2 weeks Java, 2 weeks Bali is simple. Fly into Jakarta and end up in Bali. From the airport, it's probably best to head straight to Bogor. Spend a couple of nights there. From there I think Ujung Genteng on the south coast is worth a shot. Spend a few nights there. Next, head to Bandung, a couple of nights there for checking out the volcano and walking through the forest. Next is Garut for Gunung Papandayan and some other geothermal sites. 1 or 2 nights. Next is Pangandaran on the south coast. Another beach place where you can spend as little or as long as you like. Next is Yogya. 3 nights perhaps here. Then Bromo which is incredible. That's 2 nights. Next is Ijen which is really only one night and then into Bali from there.

OK, so that's 18 nights. In August I think there will still be quite a few euros around because of the euro summer, so it will not be dead in Java. Expect to pay around US$10 per night for accommodation that is not filthy. You can usually go cheaper and get rooms for US$7 but the quality is often poor. Food is cheap if you eat local. Budget 80c for a fried rice with free tea. If you eat that or something similar three times a day you will live very cheaply! Public transport is cheap. Factor about $1 per hour of travel. Eg: Bogor to Ujung Genteng would take about 8 hours and would cost about $8 all up.

Bali is a different story. Public transport in Bali is a more difficult proposition for such a comparatively small island and it is much better to hire a motorbike ($4) or car ($9). You can definitely do Bali on the cheap, but the main problem is that there is so much choice that people often pay for slightly better accommodation and slightly better meals. But you can still get very cheap accommodation and very cheap local food. Transport is the biggest pain, so a motorbike is the most economical option.

Your 500 pound budget for a month is definitely doable, but you will eat local meals almost every time, you will stay in basic accommodation every time and rarely have hot water, often have a squatter and never have air-con. But if you're OK with that, you'll have a great trip!

#5 Posted: 27/5/2012 - 10:44

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Totally off topic...

http://news.sky.com/home/showbiz-news/article/16236250

"Lady Gaga has cancelled what was set to be the largest gig on her tour of Asia because of security fears following threats from Islamic hardliners. The pop star's promoters pulled the plug on the Jakarta date of her 'Born This Way Ball' tour, after religious extremists promised "chaos" if she entered the country. The Islamic Defenders Front (FPI) said the singer's sexy clothes and provocative dance moves would corrupt the youth in Indonesia, the world's largest Muslim-majority nation."

#6 Posted: 27/5/2012 - 11:14

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

@Pascall - based on my experience 3 to 4 weeks to travel from Jakarta to Bali is not enough time.

You might want to consider the option of flying into Surabaya or Yogyakarta. You could spend a week or ten days in East Java. Make your way to Bali and fly out from Denpasar.

Seeing as you are going on a rather limited budget you might want to research a few of the more popular sights. For example - the entrance fee to Borobudur is $15US. Basically a day's budget.

Mooball's last paragraph sums things up.

#7 Posted: 27/5/2012 - 17:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.