Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

7-day Bali getaway, is this doable?

• jasoncarpio

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2012

Hello beautiful people,

My name is Jason and I'm from California. I'm traveling to Bali for the first time and wondering if you can give me any advice on my following itinerary (I'm in Bali from July 3 - July 11):
    3 days in Ubud (MUST): Trek Batur (early morning), Monkey Forest, ARMA, Celuk, Mas, Sari Organic, Yoga Barn, Tirtha Empul, Goa Gajah, Gunung Kawi, coffee plantation (Luwak), (is it possible to do a day tour towards Sidemen (Besakih) and back by the afternoon?)
    -
    2 days in the Gillis (1 day in Gilli T, 1 day in Gilli Air or would you recommend 2 days in just one location?)
    -
    2 days in Seminyak (or Legian): including a trip to Tanah Lot (separate day) -and- (if possible): a trip to Candidasa (towards Goa Lawah) into Padang Bai and snorkel Blue Lagoon, then to Tirtannga Water Palace and back to Seminyak (is it doable in one day?)

And I don't know where and when to fit this in:
    - Uluwatu Temple (and Kecak dance)
    - Rock Bar at Ayana Resort (sunset)
    - Jimbaran?

Questions:

1. How do I get from Ubud to the Gilis? I read somewhere that I have to get to the harbor at Padang Bai?
    2. Does my plan Ubud to Gillis to Seminyak make sense? I'm just worried that If I put Gillis at the end of my trip that there's a chance I may miss my flight in noon from DPS because I'm not sure what the earliest time the boat from the Gillis return to Bali. I figured Seminyak would be the best location to travel back to the airport.

Any suggestions and or advice would be great. Thank you so much.

PS. How awesome is Travelfish...

#1 Posted: 10/6/2012 - 18:33

• Advertisement

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

The Ubud portion is doable, but you won't be spending much time in Ubud. If that's OK with you, go for it.

The Gilis sounds reasonable but it doesn't factor in travel time. And travel time is pretty big from Ubud to there. I wouldn't try to fit the Gilis in. It might be possible, but you will cutting into time in Ubud and the Gilis.

The 2 days in Seminyak are doable. Up the east coast from Seminyak is no problem. Tanah lot, fire dance and the rock bar would work in a day trip, but the three things you listed all require a sunset... It's not possible in 2 days.

The other thing I would note about your plan is that it will require the use of a car every single day. You'll be sitting in a car for a large portion of your relaxing holiday to Bali. I'd simply split my time between Ubud and Seminyak and forget the Gilis. In that case you'll do everything you want but not be so rushed. Bali is all about hanging out and relaxing.

#2 Posted: 10/6/2012 - 23:45

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Even though I like the Gilis, I agree with mooball that you really don't have the time to fit them in.

If you do decide to try it, you will blow most of the first day getting there from Ubud , so confining youself to one island is the best bet. Last September I went from Ubud on Perama's service - they run a van down to Padangbai to connect with their speedboat to the Gilis. They also have a slow boat which I have also used but it was not working last high season - maybe this year it's back.

I always reckon a day or so close to the airport before departure makes sense. Ulawatu and the Monkey Dance are best done from Seminyak (if you can fit them in).

#3 Posted: 11/6/2012 - 00:04

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

You'll be sitting in a car for a large portion of your relaxing holiday to Bali.

Well, there's an oxymoron if I've ever seen one! :-) Sitting in a car in Bali can be fun... but relaxing? Never! I agree with the others.. forget about the Gili's this time (or forfeit something else).

Personally, I think the best way to see Bali is to hire a car (not too expensive there) and travel around at whim. This gives you flexibility and the ability to explore areas outside the main tourist path. But... it can be tough going if you aren't a confident driver, and it certainly aint' relaxing!

If you want to add is some beach time, head up to Amed and the northern coast to do some snorkelling, etc.

#4 Posted: 11/6/2012 - 00:22

• TonyM

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2012

Hi Tezza, I'm curious about your boat ride to Gilis Island from Pandangbai, how long did it take, fast boat, worth the journey, cost, could it be done there and back in a day?

#5 Posted: 17/6/2012 - 04:34

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

The trip is supposed to be a bit over one hour but conditions were rough and the captain sensibly throttled back so we did it in a bit over two. Because it leaves around mid-day you couldn't do it as a daytrip - I think the boats coming back come in the morning so you would have to stay overnight. I don't really think the cost and distance makes such a short stay worthwhile. The cost then was 350k ex Padangbai 400k out of Ubud. Google Perama's website for any changes.

#6 Posted: 20/6/2012 - 06:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bali - 5 day getaway from Singapore? ... By leland on 28 Sep 2012 0 866 28 Sep 2012