Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Yogyakarta to Bromo

• Rohan

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2009

Does anyone know if it is possible to travel from Yogyakarta to Mt Bromo in one day? I have seen some tour companies that do it, but have read fairly awful things regarding reliability. I would also prefer to take the train as far as possible rather than the bus.

#1 Posted: 23/6/2012 - 22:42

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 50
    Places visited:
    At least 43

You can take a 7:15 train from Yogyakarta that arrives in Surabaya around noon. Then its probably fastest to take a bus to Probolinggo (3hrs) and from there a minibus to Bromo. There are trains that go from Surabaya to Probolinggo, but the nice ones don't ply the route as often.

#2 Posted: 24/6/2012 - 05:19

• Rohan

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2009

Thanks Casey. I had been looking to overnight in Surabaya and take the more comfortable train you mentioned the next day, but Garuda has moved my flight home, making the timing tighter.

#3 Posted: 24/6/2012 - 06:05

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia

It is possible to do it in one day by public transport, but you will be cutting it fine as the last bus to Bromo leaves Probolinggo at between 3 and 4. After that you'll either have to charter a bus or ojek. Ojek will set you back 75,000. A better option might be to catch the overnight train to Malang and go up Bromo the back way. That way you'll get to see two entirely different approaches.

#4 Posted: 1/7/2012 - 02:24

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 43

If it is still any help now (though probably past date) I got up to Bromo - CL Village, can't remember how to spell it right now (or probably ever) around 8pm by catching what I'm sure was the last minivan up to the top. Had to wait for the minivan to fill up with what was likely another bus coming up from Surabaya before we took off, that's what made the arrival so late.

#5 Posted: 7/7/2012 - 09:17

• jen_on_vl

Joined Travelfish
    26th May, 2013

Has anyone tried a night trip package from Yogyakarta -Mt.Bromo. I saw a losari travel site that has a night trip to Mt.Bromo, leaves at 4pm Yogyakarta and estimated to arrive at Cemoro Lawang at 3am, just right in time for the sunrise hike. Has anyone tried this? Is it safe??? It gives me more time to spend in Yogyakarta rather than losing an entire day on the road for typical daytrip package to Bromo.

#6 Posted: 9/6/2013 - 03:36

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Places visited:
    At least 43

Sounds like a terrible morning on the crater - I'd be tired after a night bus in Indonesia.

#7 Posted: 9/6/2013 - 04:15

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia

I haven't tried it, but I wouldn't want to. I don't think I've ever slept more than about 30min on a bus in Indonesia. The roads just aren't conducive to a smooth and comfortable ride. That said, if you absolutely had to save a day, it might be worth it. Just be ok with operating on almost no sleep.

#8 Posted: 9/6/2013 - 07:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.