Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Travelling from Bali to Sarawak

• nakedbackpa-
    cker

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2012

Hi,

I am currently in Thailand and am heading to Bali for a wedding in October. Whilst there I thought I would go to Borneo, do some trekking and see some Orangutans.

After some research I have found that the best place would be Sarawak and the Gunung Gading National Park. I have chosen this as it is cheap and easy to do as an individual rather than booking a tour.

Any suggestions of how to get to Sarawak from Bali? I know that Air Asia has some flights but they are not the cheapest and I am really concerned about money rather than comfort plus it is the unforgettable journeys that are the cheapest.

Also if anyone has any other suggestions of places to visit then that would be great. I am only at the start of the researching process so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I did want to do some volunteering or something like that, i know you can volunteer as a teacher but as I am being paid for that in Thailand this is not onb my list of things to do. I was looking for womething with Animals but after reading numurous reviews and blogs I have discovered that you cant do this without paying a fortune and generally this doews not help the animals in anyway instead facilitates the "rehabilitaion centres" to take on more animals to encourage more tourists. If anyone has any views on this that would be great as it is something that i would like to do but not to the extent of damaging or paying lots of money that will not get me an amazing experience.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

#1 Posted: 24/6/2012 - 21:08

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

bad news for you: NO direct flights, and connections do eat time+money-as you have discovered. There is hardly any traffic over the border there-plus that Indonesians never talk about Borneo-its Kalimantan.Plus-that If you book wisely-perhaps wait for their promosi, AA IS the cheapest-but you have to go via KUL. Maybe try other nearby ports to bali, like Surabaya-but do not expect too much on it.
    there are alternatives in INdo: like that park nearby Medan, Sumatera. But flying DPS-MDN also takes some 3 hrs-if it would be direct.
    be sensible-forget that teener dreaming-and that ''volutneering''. They do not need you-just try to do something that teachers are supposed to: think of any possible work/job you could do vs the multi-millions underpaid orang-orang dari Indonesi

#2 Posted: 25/6/2012 - 06:33

• nakedbackpa-
    cker

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2012

ok, so as borneo seems to be out. Any suggestions of another island near Bali that we can travel to that will have something adventures to do cheaply. Is it just best to wait until I get there to have a look at the tours on offer or should I book before I go? Idealy I would like to do it on my own as it always works out cheaper than going with a tour company but I am open to suggestions.

#3 Posted: 25/6/2012 - 20:00

• traveloworld

Joined Travelfish
    14th June, 2012

Hi,
    This information will help me to traveling Bali to sarawak.

#4 Posted: 26/6/2012 - 04:57

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 200

What about taking a flight to Flores and then working your way back to Bali overland by sea and road. Flores is a beautiful island with lots to explore and you could take a boat from Labuanbajo on the west of the island to Lombok via Komodo National Park - no orang-utans but plenty of other fauna. Once on Lombok you could consider climbing Rinjani if you're still in need of a strenuous adventure or head to the beaches in the south or over to the Gillis. I would suggest travelling this way (Flores to Lombok/east to west ) for a few reasons: most people do it the other way round, flights are often cheaper from Bali to Flores rather than vv and this way you'll know how much time you have to play with.

Last year I went from Bali to Sarawak and the cheapest routing for me (all on Air Asia) was to fly Bali to Singapore, bus straight from the airport to Johor Bharu and then another flight JB to Kuching.

#5 Posted: 26/6/2012 - 05:40

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Could always head to Java and look at a few volcanoes as well as Borobudur.

#6 Posted: 1/7/2012 - 02:19

• intrepidsta-
    ce

Joined Travelfish
    15th June, 2012

What about seeing the orangutans in Tanjung Puting, Kalimantan instead? Since it is still Indonesia it might be cheaper for you to get a flight from Bali to Kalimantan.

#7 Posted: 12/8/2012 - 02:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.