Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Quiet but adventurous winter honeymoon in SE Asia

• laceyinak

Joined Travelfish
    3rd July, 2012

We're trying to decide where to go in SE Asia on our three-week honeymoon. We'll be leaving from Alaska around the 14th of December, and back on the 4th or 5th of January.

It'll be my first time to the region, but not his. Original plan was to go to Thailand, but we've been lately tempted by Indonesia. However, after a very rainy summer in AK I've been a little scared off by the rainy season there. We also want to avoid loads of tourists- considering we'll be there over Christmas, I assume this means Bali is out? I do realize it's the high season all over, but hope that we can find some quiet place for the majority of the time. Beginning or ending the trip with a couple days exploring a city sounds great, too.

We're go-with-the flow folks, not averse to playing the entire trip by ear. But we're looking for a hike/trek once and awhile, a good plunk on the beach (maybe snorkeling or kayaking) and good food. Budget generally low-to-midrange, with a splurge here or there.

Itineraries I've considered:

Fly into Bangkok, head north to Chiang Mai and environs to explore N. Thailand for a week, then head south for 2 weeks to get time on beaches (perhaps the Andaman Islands?)

Fly into Kuala Lumpur, train/bus north to explore the west coasts/islands of Malaysia and Thailand. End in BKK.

Fly into Jakarta and travel overland: 2 weeks on Java, 1 week exploring Lombok/Gilis or Flores. Fly back to Jakarta Worried a bit about weather.

Ears have perked at thoughts of Vietnam as well.

Am a bit overwhelmed at the options, frankly. Am I casting too broad a net?

#1 Posted: 4/7/2012 - 00:03

• Advertisement

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

The weather across Java and Bali at that time of year does virtually guarantee daily rain, but it's not that bad. As long as you get out early and do all your activities, you can still have a full day. The rain generally starts in the afternoon and lasts a couple of hours -- sometimes more. There won't be large crowds anywhere in Indonesia except a few towns in Bali. Even the vast majority of Bali will be empty as it normally is! You just have to make the effort to get away from the other tourists when in Bali.

#2 Posted: 4/7/2012 - 19:06

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

I know it's not technically SE Asia but have you looked at Sri Lanka?

It will be the dry season on the west and southern coasts, which is where most tourists spend the majority of their time and where most of the sights and beaches are located.

It alwasy struck me as somewhere that would be nice for a honeymoon (even though I haven't been!).

#3 Posted: 5/7/2012 - 05:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Winter in SE Asia ... By miQuel on 27 Jul 2009 1 1881 16 Sep 2009