Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

First time into SEA landing in Bali, looking for quick tips / advice

• Rukus

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2011

Hello everybody, I have been looking through these forums for the past 6 months or so gathering information about all kinds of different things in SEA and it has really helped out alot and will continue to help me out through my 6 month trip through the area.

I'm landing into denpasar, Bali, Indonesia on the 27th of July and just wanted any quick tips / advice from people about this, I gather that It's going to take a little bit to get used to the culture shock it being my first time there. So basically I just want to know a good place to stay for the first week or so and get my bearings before I move on. I was told not to stay in denpasar so I know that much, thinking of finding a place near the ocean where there is a decent amount of tourists and or english spoken so I can slip into the lifestyle. Thanks alot in advance, so excited for my trip!

#1 Posted: 20/7/2012 - 16:48

• Advertisement

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Just head into Kuta and experience the full force there. It's near the beach, there are lots of tourists and yes you will be shocked. :) Not sure what your budget is, but just look the through the Kuta listings on here and pick one. The value is pretty good at the budget end in Kuta.

#2 Posted: 25/7/2012 - 21:56

• enigmatic

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2011
    Total reviews: 11

Tips on arriving in Denpasar

Avoid the uniformed porters asking for your bag in front of customs - they'll insist on a tip for carrying it 10 yards through the green zone. Ignore the taxi touts trying to charge you several times the going rate, walk through the car park and get a Bluebird taxi. Ignore the "want motorbike? want mushroom? want marijuna? want girl?" guys - maybe rent a surfboard though.
    Ignore all the Australian teenagers.

The culture shock in Bali is the direct consequence of all the tourists there.

#3 Posted: 3/8/2012 - 04:03

• jenbaxter

Joined Travelfish
    29th July, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi there,
    If you're looking for an easy landing in Bali I would head to Ubud. It's not near a beach but it's a lovely place to start with good restaurants, nice people and a very laid back attitude. There are a range of places to stay from Homestays for $15 US dollars a night to 5 star hotels. Check out Trip Advisor for the latest reviews. It's a great place to start and you can hire a driver to take you anywhere on the Island you want to go.

#4 Posted: 3/8/2012 - 10:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Landing late at night in Bali ... By chicoelnino on 2 Jun 2011 2 3555 4 Jun 2011
Couple of quick Burma tips ... By somtam2000 on 2 Jun 2013 29 3577 12 Jun 2013