Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

First time into SEA landing in Bali, looking for quick tips / advice

Posted by Rukus on 20/7/2012 at 16:48

Hello everybody, I have been looking through these forums for the past 6 months or so gathering information about all kinds of different things in SEA and it has really helped out alot and will continue to help me out through my 6 month trip through the area.

I'm landing into denpasar, Bali, Indonesia on the 27th of July and just wanted any quick tips / advice from people about this, I gather that It's going to take a little bit to get used to the culture shock it being my first time there. So basically I just want to know a good place to stay for the first week or so and get my bearings before I move on. I was told not to stay in denpasar so I know that much, thinking of finding a place near the ocean where there is a decent amount of tourists and or english spoken so I can slip into the lifestyle. Thanks alot in advance, so excited for my trip!

#1 Rukus has been a member since 28/10/2011. Posts: 22

Posted by mooball on 25/7/2012 at 21:56 TF writer

Just head into Kuta and experience the full force there. It's near the beach, there are lots of tourists and yes you will be shocked. :) Not sure what your budget is, but just look the through the Kuta listings on here and pick one. The value is pretty good at the budget end in Kuta.

#2 mooball has been a member since 19/6/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 431
 Where has mooball been?   Twitter   Google+   Instagram 

Posted by enigmatic on 3/8/2012 at 04:03

Tips on arriving in Denpasar

Avoid the uniformed porters asking for your bag in front of customs - they'll insist on a tip for carrying it 10 yards through the green zone. Ignore the taxi touts trying to charge you several times the going rate, walk through the car park and get a Bluebird taxi. Ignore the "want motorbike? want mushroom? want marijuna? want girl?" guys - maybe rent a surfboard though.
Ignore all the Australian teenagers.

The culture shock in Bali is the direct consequence of all the tourists there.

#3 enigmatic has been a member since 14/4/2011. Posts: 84

Posted by jenbaxter on 3/8/2012 at 10:22

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi there,
If you're looking for an easy landing in Bali I would head to Ubud. It's not near a beach but it's a lovely place to start with good restaurants, nice people and a very laid back attitude. There are a range of places to stay from Homestays for $15 US dollars a night to 5 star hotels. Check out Trip Advisor for the latest reviews. It's a great place to start and you can hire a driver to take you anywhere on the Island you want to go.

#4 jenbaxter has been a member since 29/7/2012. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.