Indonesia forum

Where to Stay in Bali

• waysofwande-
    rers

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2012
    Location Global Village

Hello!

I'm going to Indonesia in October for 2 weeks. From the little research I've done, I get the impression that it would be best for me to focus on Bali since it will be my first time in Indonesia. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for where to stay in Bali? I'm hoping to be somewhere a little quieter, preferably close to a beach, and with good access to the rest of the island. Aside from Bali, I was also hoping to make it to either Rinca or the Komodo Islands - what is the best way to get there from Bali? Is it doable in a 2-week time frame?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 29/8/2012 - 07:44

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

"I'm hoping to be somewhere a little quieter, preferably close to a beach, and with good access to the rest of the island."

I'm a big fan of the Balangan-Dreamland beaches on the Bukit peninsula but although they are pretty close to the airport, access to the rest of the island is not great on account you have to traverse through the airport- Kuta complex and traffic is a joke.
    So I'd be going for Sanur beach - a long beach where most sections are pretty nice, way better than the Kuta strip and much quieter. Sanur had easier access to most Bali locations than Kuta or the Bukit - the exception may be the west coast but there are fewer tourist attractions up there. You don't say your budget but Sanur has a full range of accommodation although backpacker standard places are more limited than in Kuta.

I checked Rinca on Perama's Hunting Komodo By Camera trip - a 3 (or 4 if you want to see Komodo instead) cruise between Lombok and West Flores. This budget priced cruise was one of the best few days I've spent in Indonesia in about 20 visits. Perama have an office in Sanur on the short road that leads down to the small harbour, west end of the 3km beachfront foot/bike path where you can book the whole thing including transport from Kuta. They have another office in Kuta on Julan Legian between Poppies One and Two lanes. Their website will give latest prices. Perama can also get you to most Bali tourist locations on their travelers' shuttle buses. Although if you are not a budget traveler you will save a fair bit of time using the car and driver combinations offered by "transport guys" hanging around outside accommodation all over Bali.

#2 Posted: 29/8/2012 - 18:36

• waysofwande-
    rers

Joined Travelfish
    19th August, 2012
    Location Global Village

Thanks for you reply, tezza. And I should add that I am on a backpacker's budget.

#3 Posted: 29/8/2012 - 18:53

• Rukus

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2011

quiet, close to the beach, and good access to the rest of the island, I would deffinatley say Lovina area. I just spent the last month traveling around Bali and Lovina area is great for what you are looking for, stayed in Anturan to be exact. Black sand beach, not as nice of a beach as say Kuta, but better for swimming, much much quieter as it is a smaller place and you can get to pretty much anywere on the island in 2 hours by motorbike.

#4 Posted: 29/8/2012 - 21:23

• eik362

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2012
    Location Australia

I just spent the last 6 weeks in Indonesia and I have to say the Lovina area was one of my favourites. It is quiet, fantastic locals (especially at the Warung Rasta), and easy to get to the rest of Bali- motorcycles cost about 40000 rupiah a day (about $4). You should also check out a few of the towns in the mountain in central Bali (like Munduk). There is not a lot to do but they are beautiful and worth a night or two. Ahmed is also really beautiful and has pretty good diving and snorklling. I didnt make my way West but that sounds nice too- just a bit harder to reach.

I also went to Rinca and Komodo with a company called Kencana Adventures. They are a bit cheaper than Perama but they leave from Lombok. These tours depend a lot on the other travllers but I had the most amazing time on mine. I met friends who I will keep in touch with for years to come.

#5 Posted: 29/8/2012 - 23:08

• Hotelike

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2012

Canngu is just north of Seminyak and party hardy Kuta , very laid back. My Balinese wife and I stayed at the Rama Homestay for two months and we loved it. You can 'google' the website . The proprietor, Putu is exceptional and his accomodations are the same. It's a very short walking distance from the beach and probably one of the absolute best deals in south Bali. Try Wendy's warung nearby, again outstanding faire for very reasonable prices.

#6 Posted: 10/9/2012 - 23:14

• pinlee

Joined Travelfish
    22nd February, 2012

Ubud, quiet and you can find some homestay to stay with locals. I have a bicycle with me on the last trip, riding in scenic paddy field and not too away from where you stay. You can check out wikitravel > bali for a list of place to stay. Enjoy!

#7 Posted: 10/9/2012 - 23:32

• eik362

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2012
    Location Australia

If you go to Ubud, the Praety Homestay is great value. Best breakfast I had on my whole trip! And the family is so lovely. I booked through Agoda, but like anywhere in Indo, you can usually rock up and bargin for a good price.

#8 Posted: 10/9/2012 - 23:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.