Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Indo Travel..

• HollyN

Joined Travelfish
    13th July, 2012

Hello

I was wondering if anyone could help with some much needed advice. I am travelling with my girlfriend soon. We will travelling Indo from roughly 15th December, flying from Philippines, making our way to Jakarta with 4 weeks.

I was hoping someone could offer us any advice/ a rough route we could take from philippines down to jakarta.

Places we know we want to see are Flores, Komodo, Bali (maybe spend chistmas and new year there) and also Pangkalanbuun to see Orangutans. Oh and Gunung Bromo to see the volcano there.

Also.. does anyone know what the prices would be like in Bali over the christmas and new year period? If this will be too expensive we are open to ideas on other places to spend this time.

Thank you in advance to any advice given, it really will be much appriciated

Holly

#1 Posted: 4/9/2012 - 04:36

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

1.there wont be much choice in routes-the flights from PH are very rare-likely only JKT and DPS=bali, and thats it. From there its the straightforweard as anyone does routeing.
    2. Bali has such cheap rooms-and plenty of them, that even when their prices would double for all those holidaying OZzies, its still very affordable, certainly compared to PH-which by accident has about the most expensive cheap rooms of all of SEA

#2 Posted: 4/9/2012 - 05:02

• HollyN

Joined Travelfish
    13th July, 2012

Hello captainbkk

Thanks for your advice. I was wondering if I could ask for your help again?
    We know we are starting in Singapore for 4/5 days from 9th October, then traveling to Manila and traveling/ doing a course there.

We finish on 15th December. So from there would you advice;

- traveling Vietnam/ Laos/ Cambodia Thailand Islands for 6 weeks then doing Indonesia for 4 weeks during end Jan to end Feb
    or
    - traveling Indo for 4 weeks, again from the 15th December, then flying up to Hanoi and working our way down to Thailand Islands in 6 weeks. (so basically the opposite way round the first idea)

We don't know which would be the best option weather wise. Bali seems to have terrible rain during the Christmas period.We want to try and avoid the monsoon seasons.

Sorry for the 20 questions, but you seem to know your stuff

Thank you again

Holly

#3 Posted: 6/9/2012 - 04:58

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

- traveling Vietnam/ Laos/ Cambodia Thailand Islands for 6 weeks then doing Indonesia for 4 weeks during end Jan to end Feb
    or
    - traveling Indo for 4 weeks, again from the 15th December, then flying up to Hanoi and working our way down to Thailand Islands in 6 weeks. (so basically the opposite way round the first idea)

Monsoon season in Indonesia is different from most of SE Asia and starts mid to late November, just as Thailand, Cambodia and Laos go into dry season. It lasts until late March so you won't entirely avoid rain when you're in Indonesia whichever option you choose. This said, mid-December can be very wet and windy so I'd be inclined to chose option 1 and hope the worse of the monsoon is over by the time you get there.... but no guarantees!

#4 Posted: 12/9/2012 - 08:08

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hi Holly,
    I agree with what SBE has told you. I have been able to be in Indonesia from January to April the past 3 years and to be honest I haven't found there to be much difference in the weather during those months. You will be hot during the day and there will most likely be some rain in the afternoon. Some days there will be a light rain for most of it and some days none at all. In my experience, the monsoons have not affected my travel negatively.
    My point is that if you are going January,February and March don't stress about the monsoons whenever you go. Like SBE said - you might miss the heavier side of things arriving a bit later in Indonesia but you might not. The locals (In Bali and Java a least) have told me the timing is becoming more and more unreliable.
    Have a great time.

#5 Posted: 17/9/2012 - 08:27

• j4s

Joined Travelfish
    3rd June, 2012

Hi Holly
    Your plans sound interesting... could you pm me to discuss... im in SEA nov/dec, and was thinking of travelling south as you - although from this post it sounds like monsoon season in Indonesia around then!

#6 Posted: 18/9/2012 - 04:36

• john48

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2012

I love traveling because i'm interested in water games and like to visite beaches in different countrys.Travelling to exotic destinations in Lombok, Central Sulawesi and Papua is now easier and faster as Indonesia’s Low Cost Carriers agressively increase flights and open up new routes to cities in eastern Indonesia.

#7 Posted: 27/9/2012 - 23:21

• mick10

Joined Travelfish
    5th October, 2012

You guys should check out a place called Red Island, in east Java close to Bali. Bueatiful untouched beach with lovely bungalows next to the beach, perfect learn to surf waves with snorkelling and fishing also.

Goodluck

#8 Posted: 5/10/2012 - 21:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.