Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

transportation Jogja-Lombok

• laceyinak

Joined Travelfish
    3rd July, 2012

We're headed to Indo for 2.5 weeks in Dec. and January. Tickets as far as Singapore have been purchased. The current plan is 2 nights in Singapore, then head to Jogja for 3 or 4 nights. From there, we'd like to get out to Gili Meno/Lombok area for a week, then work our way through Bali (perhaps in the interior- like Sideman?) before flying out of DPS to Singapore and then back to the states.

Considering our shorter timeframe, how what's the best method of transport within Indo? It looks like we could easily spend another $600 USD flying those three one-way legs. Is it cheaper to say, fly into Bali and travel overland to Lombok and back? We're pretty adventurous and don't mind crowded buses etc, especially if it means we get to spend time away from the madding crowd. That said, we don't have a whole lot of time to meander and wait on travel.

#1 Posted: 9/9/2012 - 13:23

• Advertisement

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Your itinerary seems reasonable with the amount of time you have. Part of the adventure in Indonesia can certainly be buses and trains. A great way to see the countryside and meet locals who aren't involved in the tourism industry. You probably won't see many Westerners in Java - I saw but a few this past year and spent about 2 months of my trip there.
    You can consider flying from Jogja to DPS (AirAsia/LionAir/Garuda) to save some time and use buses and ferries to get to and from Lombok. This might be your best bet. Without flying, getting from Jogja - Surabaya - DPS will take the better part of 2 days (plus room, taxi and meals).
    I have spent quite a bit of time in this area the past 4 years and if I'm going back there for 2.5 weeks I'd choose one or the other. Either fly into DPS and spend the time in Bali - with a side trip to Lombok or spend all of the time in Java.
    Good luck.

#2 Posted: 9/9/2012 - 21:26

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

tyler seems a bit overstressed. Yogya-Surabaya is half a day by fast and good train. Yogya-Bali (busstation in Denpasar is a fairly long overnight by comfy bus with reserved seats, meals +ferry included. Around the tourist areas in Yogya and also any Bali tourist place you will stumble on the 100s of small tr-booking agents, able to set you up with all+more.
    FLY is obviously the quickest option-it wont be very cheap around that peak period though. Change in DPS for onward to Lombok (tiny plane), and note that Lombok airpt is quite far still from the Gillis. Also note the Gili's are mainly an OZzie young people gathering set with all that comes with that. If you are only going after some name someone might ever have thrown around- Bali island also has dozens of agreeable palces, though note it can be very wet around that time-in all places

#3 Posted: 10/9/2012 - 06:07

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I'm not overstressed - just a realist.
    "Yogya-Bali (busstation in Denpasar is a fairly long overnight by comfy bus with reserved seats, meals +ferry included." fairly long?? That, my friend, is an understatement!
    Taking a night bus in Java can be a bit unsettling to say the least. Yeah, the trip can be done in a day and night if all connections go well. AirAsia flights ,around Christmas time, are about 5-600 000IDR and down to about 300-350 000IDR in January. A small price to pay to save precious time.
    Captainbkk is right about the weather - it'll be rainy but not all of the time so don't let that discourage you. And yes - travel agents everywhere to help you with all of your bookings. If it is your first time in the area and you don't speak any Indonesian the agents will probably prove to be quite useful...

#4 Posted: 10/9/2012 - 08:52

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

If you are choosing to go overland from Yogya to Bali and only have 2.5 weeks, I would suggest only doing that if you are going to Bromo as well. Otherwise save yourself a day of hell plus a day of recover and spend a bit of money on a flight.

That said, I think Bromo is an Indonesian highlight and well worth checking out. Agents in Yogya can make the whole process of getting from Yogya-Bromo-Bali much smoother and quicker and you can do the whole thing in 2 days. Don't be afraid of taking this option. That'd be the best bet.

#5 Posted: 18/9/2012 - 09:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.