Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Safe travel in the Wake of Anti-American sentiment?

• mgann85

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2012

Hello Guys, love this website. This is my first post. I leave for a 6 month trip through Indo, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam in 10 days. Leaving from San Francisco, First stop Bali. I have read all the State Department travel advisories about steering clear of large groups of people, protests, ect and all the other common sense safety tips. But I was curious about if anybody over there has any comments/advice that may be helpful in the wake of all the anti-Amierican protests across Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand due to some video on youtube that is apparently anti-Muslim. Like, should I tell everybody I'm Canadian or something to be safe or what? It just kind of freaks me out since Im leaving so soon and everyone is up in arms about some stupid video over there. I know you can never predict when a place can suddenly turn violent but I just would like to know that Im not heading into a dangerous protest/violent situation for the next 6 months. Btw my Girlfriend who is coming with is Chinese decent and looks phillipino, but I am a typical blond hair Caucasian American.

#1 Posted: 19/9/2012 - 11:49

• Advertisement

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010

Thailand is predominantly Buddhist so I don't understand why you would be concerned about Thailand. It is only in the southern part of Thailand where you will find a predominantly Islamic population. Bali, Indonesia is predominantly Hindu so few worries there.

In SEA, even though fundamentalist Islam has made inroads, the vast majority of Asian Moslems are tolerant and accepting of other religious beliefs. It is a more relaxed version of Islam. You'll often find a hybrid of Islamic beliefs and the local animistic traditions.

It would be wise to avoid the areas near protests but otherwise I think you will be safe. You might come across some loony who will make things unpleasant but that will be the extent of it. I think it is unlikely you will be physically assaulted for being American.

In my personal opinion, the news reports are sensationalizing the protests (they gotta sell news and make money too!). Bear in mind the protests have been small, limited to a few hundred people (100-300) in cities with populations of several millions. Are you really going to be worried about 300 people protesting in Jakarta, a city of over 8 million people?

#2 Posted: 19/9/2012 - 21:33

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

You are one of thousands of travelers doing SE Asia - I seriously doubt you will have the least of problems. By the way, the religious zealots are also mad at the French at the moment - so says the nightly news of Sep 19th. Remember that many Scandinavians and Russians are also blond (don't advertise your nationality).

Just for your info, the Vietnamese love Americans, really.

#3 Posted: 19/9/2012 - 22:54

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

I agree with the others that it is unlikely trouble will find you unless you go looking for it, particularly in the places you've mentioned. The number of people protesting is small, the shelf life of this round of outrage likely short, and the news coverage typically making more out of the story than is really there. Just don't wear your Osama Sucks t-shirt or draw unnecessary attention to yourself or wander into areas where you don't belong and you should be fine.

By the way, I think it is tacky to pretend to be Canadian if you are not. Regards.

#4 Posted: 19/9/2012 - 23:08

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Yeah, relax. Steer clear of protests and you'll be good to go. The whole thing is BS and just about everyone who doesn't live in the Middle East or South Asia knows that. No worries.

#5 Posted: 19/9/2012 - 23:20

• mgann85

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2012

Hey everyone thanks for your words of reassurance. I just need to relax...but hey that's what this trip is for right! :)
    Thanks again

#6 Posted: 20/9/2012 - 10:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Would you get anti-malaria and anti-rabies preventative treatments for Luang Prabang? ... By EdwardTrunk on 15 Jan 2014 4 572 19 Jan 2014