Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Indonesia Dec. 7-Jan 14th

• kendallplay-
    sxo

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2012

Hello,

We will be traveling from Alaska together, and we are both mid twenties, looking for adventure for these 5 weeks. We want to fly into Bali and travel Lombok, Flores, maybe Timor, Java, then fly out of Thailand. Is this a really stupid time to go because it is rainy season? I keep hearing mixed reviews. We are looking to see animals, lay on the beach, dive, see cultural things, hike, and deep sea fish. We are up for anything, and just want to meet people and enjoy ourselves on a budget safely.

ANY recommendations or things to do, and not do would be greatly appreciated. We are both getting insurance and vaccines!

Thank you in advance (:

kendall & kendra

#1 Posted: 19/9/2012 - 23:15

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi,

Bali is great in wet season -- at least the traffic improves a little :)

I'd say all the way to Timor & back in five weeks might be a bit ambitious (unless you're flying) and also, pay attention to the weather and boats -- especially if you're considering one of the Lombok/Komodo trans-island trips -- weather can be pretty ropey.

For the Java portion, this one-week in Java sample itinerary may be useful.

Also check out the Java portion of the blog - lots of info there :)

#2 Posted: 19/9/2012 - 23:31

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

what is your visa strategy? one of the other indonesia threads said you could get a 30-day visa on arrival for $25 and extend for another 30 days once you are in country. but a post on the same thread suggested getting a 60-day visa before you arrive. that way you won't have to worry about extending once you arrive, which could be a good thing if you are out in the middle of nowhere when your 30 days are up.

#3 Posted: 19/9/2012 - 23:37

• kendallplay-
    sxo

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2012

thank you! i am sure we will do the 60 day visa prior to our arrival. we plan on flying if we have to, we know it is a lot to cover. we want to take boats, but weather will definitely be our deciding factor. any suggestions as to what we should go do?

#4 Posted: 25/9/2012 - 15:45

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Firstly, I wouldn't let weather dictate your plans unless there are storms and you are on the ocean. That wouldn't be good. I'd go over land right through to Maumere in Flores and then fly back to Bali and go through Java and exit via Bandung. It'll be a tight schedule, but it should be fine if you're happy to skip some stuff. Allow 10 days for Java, 2 weeks for Bali and just under 2 weeks between Lombok and Flores.

#5 Posted: 25/9/2012 - 20:32

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I have only been to that part of Indonesia during the monsoons. Don't worry about it - you might welcome some rain after experiencing the heat.
    But I would avoid anything to do with a boat around Komodo Island. If the weather gets ugly it will not be fun.
    The trains in Java are very comfortable and a great way to see the countryside...Paying the extra IDR for 1st class is worth the few bucks!
    The diving off of Pemuteran is worth the trip - but if your budget is somewhat restrictive look across the street away from the beach for the cheaper accomodation.

#6 Posted: 26/9/2012 - 01:38

• mick10

Joined Travelfish
    5th October, 2012

Hey you should go and check out Red Island in East Java! Bueatiful untouched white sand beach with super fun waves and great fishing! Really amazing spot that will one day be a huge tourist destination but at the moment it is still uncrowded! They have bungalows on the beach! Just google A Red Island!

#7 Posted: 5/10/2012 - 20:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.