Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Transportation to Borobudur

• Babalugats

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2010
    Location Philippines

Hey everyone,

I'll be in Yogyakarta from November 22 to November 25. I like to see Borobudur at sunrise, and I wonder if it's possible - and safe - to travel by taxi during dawn. I'll stay in Delta Home Stay, by the way. I appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks!

#1 Posted: 9/11/2012 - 09:45

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Everyone in Yogja will have an offer to get you to Borobudur for sunrise. Many of the guys on the street will take you on motorbike if you are just one - or you could try to arrange with others at your guesthouse, or guest houses around, to share a car. Not sure how long you are in Yogja, but if you arrive in the morning and can't find partners for a trip you can always wait for the evening train (I think it arrives around 6 or 7pm) to arrive and catch some people as they check in - as many people try to get to Borobudur the very next day after arrival and would be happy to split the cost of transport.

#2 Posted: 9/11/2012 - 19:56

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

think logic; SUnrise is indeed quite a thing to look out for there-but if you travel in dawn (its tropics-it gets from dark to light in 5 mins!) there you miss it. You'll have to travel in the dark.
    Traffic in all of Indo is NEVER 100%safe. But as so many people want to see it, there are numerous tours-just pop into (or rather-theyll find you before youll find them) any agent. Yogya has 100s of guesthss-its impossible to tell where yours is. Around Boro are also dzoens of cheap and less cheap, but much beter losmen. Buses to Yogya run ev 15/20 mins all day.

#3 Posted: 10/11/2012 - 02:10

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Yes it's possible and safe to travel to Borobodur by taxi before sunrise. It's better to negotiate a flat fee the night before rather than use the meter. Better still, speak to an agent or your guesthouse regarding options. There are cheaper options than taxi and these tours can take you a couple of other things around Yogya as well. No need to plan anything yet. Just roll up to Yogya and speak to someone the night before.

#4 Posted: 14/11/2012 - 09:33

• Babalugats

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2010
    Location Philippines

Mammoth thanks, I appreciate your replies. It happens that from where I come from, there are buses at 4 AM. I haven't set foot in Indonesia, and I don't want to make assumptions. I'll try to remember your suggestions next week.

#5 Posted: 14/11/2012 - 10:03

• undersky_on-
    thel

Joined Travelfish
    27th November, 2012

If you the first time there..I recommend you to get taxi from your guest house for your safety.
    I agree with mooball.

#6 Posted: 28/11/2012 - 20:58

• mariajames

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

you could try to align with others at your guesthouse, or bedfellow houses around, to allotment a car. Not abiding how continued you are in Yogja, but if you access in the morning and can't acquisition ally for a cruise you can consistently delay for the black train

#7 Posted: 18/12/2012 - 09:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.