Photo: The back blocks of Candi Dasa.

Indonesia forum

Snorkeling/beach time in Bali: Pemuteran vs. Gilis?

Posted by mattgrieger on 20/12/2012 at 21:21

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to spend a few days snorkeling and lounging on the beach in Bali and am debating between Pemuteran vs. the Gilis. I'm leaning toward Pemuteran due to its proximity to the national park, mountains, etc. Both seem to have beautiful, clear water but I'm not sure about the relative merits of the coral reefs and the sea life. Are sea turtles equally prevalent in both places?

I would appreciate your input!

Matt

#1 mattgrieger has been a member since 17/7/2008. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 21/12/2012 at 19:01 admin

The snorkelling is far better on the Gilis than at Pemuteran itself, BUT from Pemuteran you can do boat trips to Menjangan Island which has outstanding snorkelling ... but doing day trips there day in day out will get expensive quickly.

From Gilis you can just snorkel straight off the beach. I saw lots of turtles in the channel between Gili Air and Gili Meno - magnificent!

If I had to choose between the two and was looking at 3-4 days of snorkelling, I'd go with the Gilis.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by tyler on 21/12/2012 at 22:44

I haven't been to the Gilis but was in Pemueran in March 2012 for about 10 days.
There is limited places for those on a budget. The beach was nice enough but I wouldn't call it spectacular.
What is amazing is the snorkelling/diving near Menjangan Island. But like somtam says - not cheap.
Plenty of turtles...

#3 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257
 Where has tyler been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.