admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I only found this out when I tried to book a domestic flight in Indonesia today with Southeast Asian low cost carrier AirAsia that there is now a MANDATORY checked luggage fee of 40,000 rupiah per passenger. This fee is payable regardless of if you have to check bags or not.

When I quizzed AirAsia on Twitter about it, they said:

"@travelfish Hi,pls note mandatory 15kg checked baggage apply to all Indonesia domestic flights. Details http://www.airasia.com/ask/template.do?id=583"

MANDATORY

On that page it reads in part:

"Why is Indonesia AirAsia including checked baggageweight of 15kg for domestic flights?
    We have realized that many guests end up paying for baggage at the airport at a higher rate than if they had prebooked it online. To save you cost and make travel cheaper than ever we have now made it a mandatory add-on feature for all domestic travel bookings."

So I guess this is a good deal if you were one who tended to check bags, but for the rest of us, and, dare I say, most of us, given the amount of carry on I see some people lugging on. this is a crappy deal.

AirAsia was recently fined A$200,000 in Australia for some pretty dodgy fare/marketing practises and I'm sure they're not trying this one on down under, but it's sad to see the airline taking advantage of lax consumer laws and enforcement where they can (in this case in Indonesia) to grab an extra $4 every flight.

If you want another 40,000 rupiah AirAsia, increase your airfare by 40,000 rupiah -- I wouldn't have even noticed that! But don't treat your passengers like morons to be ripped off at every opportunity.

If I want to check a bag, I'm happy to pay to check it, but charging me a mandatory fee for doing something I have no intention of doing leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.

AirAsia was for years a major advertiser on Travelfish and despite them not renewing, I still fly them regularly and find them to be (generally) an excellent value low cost airline.

But this stinks more than an overhead locker full of durian.

#1 Posted: 28/12/2012 - 04:37

• Advertisement

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

Agree 100% with this. I had the same problem just the other day and just refused to complete the booking at that point. I ended up scouring the web for a better deal and went with Lion Air instead.

This mandatory baggage fee is a crappy crappy money grab and people in Indonesia are up in arms about it. First we're told that they're charging for checked baggage in order to correctly reflect the costs of said checked baggage and to give those not checking baggage a better deal. Then we're told that they're charging for checked baggage even if you don't check baggage to save you money.

Absolute bastards.

#2 Posted: 31/12/2012 - 02:10

• squaretheci-
    rcle

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2011
    Total reviews: 5

This sort of "customer service" is why I refuse to use AirAsia. If you buy cheap you get the same in service. It's usually well worth paying an extra 20-30% to get treated as a valued customer rather than simply a body to be moved around.

#3 Posted: 31/12/2012 - 08:05

• setiadyw

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2012

Yes, indeed it has been implemented from 8 November 2012 on.
    It is great move and really suit Indonesian travel appetite. But yeah, I don't agree that it suits other type of travellers (a.k.a. foreigner etc.)

#4 Posted: 3/1/2013 - 00:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Domestic Flights ... By BT82 on 3 May 2008 2 2942 11 Jun 2008
Domestic flights ... By potta_boro on 12 Sep 2011 1 1438 12 Sep 2011
domestic flights ... By klomper on 7 Feb 2011 2 2801 8 Feb 2011
Domestic flights ... By georg066 on 8 Jan 2014 3 576 9 Jan 2014
Domestic flights and booking ... By Thinwhiteduke on 28 May 2009 2 1877 29 May 2009
Domestic flights in Vietnam ... By lexkssnbrg on 11 May 2009 20 7985 24 May 2013
domestic flights in Vietnam ... By deco on 14 Jan 2012 17 3289 21 Jan 2012
Domestic flights - in advance or while I'm there ... By akhetan on 30 May 2011 1 3078 30 May 2011
Domestic Flights - whats the deal? ... By katie304 on 17 Aug 2007 8 3352 21 Aug 2007
Translation please. Booking domestic flights ... By SBE on 28 Sep 2012 12 2100 1 Oct 2012