Flag of Indonesia

Indonesia forum

Sanur - Car Hire and reccomendations of things to do.

• slow_mo

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2011

Hi all,

We have decided to spend the last two days of our 16 day trip in Sanur before departing as its close to the airport and we have seen a wonderful villa to stay at. Otherwise was thinking of staying in Seminyak for the final x2 days?

If we stay in Sanur has anyone got any reccomendations regarding car hire? As the villa is north of the town I was thinking of using the car to get in and out of Sanur but to also explore some beaches to the north. Is there any seculded beaches worth visiting?

Thanks for your help

#1 Posted: 29/1/2013 - 11:13

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I spent a few days at Seminyak last trip and frankly was disappointed - it's kinda similar to Kuta, heavily built out, lotsa traffic on cofusing roads and lanes etc - except the beach isn't crowded and there are fewer hawkers. Isn't a particularly nice beach either - maybe a step down from Kuta which itself is no longer drop-dead gorgeous (and hasn't been since the 70s).

I'm a real Sanur fan - but I'm not sure I'd be staying north of the beach itself. This is because every time in the past 5 years I've gone thru the northen main road interesection with the Sanur harbour road and the next intersection which I think leads the other way into central Denpasser, the traffic has been horrendous - like 15 minutes+ to negotiate the area. I reckon the best place to be located is somewhere down in the 5km beach strip.

I never hire cars (just cars with drivers) so can't help you there.

The coast north of Sanur is nothing to shout about (exposed and blowy in dry season, mainly black sand beaches) until you get up around Padangbai, which is a hell of a long way in Bali terms. I reckon there are enough nice stretches along white/yellow sand Sanur beach to explore over 2 days and you don't need a car here - the excellent back of beach pathway is fine for cycling and there is bicycle hire everywhere. The area is flat too.

If I did have a car in Sanur and wanted to see somewhere else I think I might go explore the beaches (Balangan, Dreamland, Bingin, Padang-Padang, Uluwatu) and the Ulawatu temple of the Bukit peninsula south of the airport. I have cycled this from Sanur and the way traffic is these days it would take almost as long in a car to get there. I don't recommend cycling though, unless you are a fanatic - the Bukit has some killer hills and once there you would zoom around so much more quickly in a car. Hey, a car and driver for half a day would be the way to do this - not much more expensive than hiring a vehicle and the driver would know the destinations - the Bukit is a bit confusing for first-timers. Cars with drivers hang around outside all accommodation in Sanur.

#2 Posted: 30/1/2013 - 20:43

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I used too live in Sanur -- been trying to find the card of a car hire place we used to use but I can't! There are plenty of transport guys along the main road though so no real need to book in advance.

Re the area north of Sanur, one pretty interesting place is an abandoned theme park -- I blogged about it here -- not to everyone's taste, but if you've got time, take a look.

Sanur & Seminyak very different -- the eating & boozing in Seminyak is generally far better and much more varied (and pricey), but Sanur feels far more Balinese -- especially on a Sunday when everyone is down on the beach.

#3 Posted: 31/1/2013 - 22:38

• purirama

Joined Travelfish
    7th February, 2013

i thought Sanur beach is much better than North Beach..so stay in Sanur Beach..!!

#4 Posted: 7/2/2013 - 08:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.